Thread: New River......

New River......

Does anyone fish the New River for smallmouth? If so any recommendations on launches/sections for a outboard jet? I'm working outside Blacksburg for couple weeks at end of October and may bring my boat with me. Is it worth me towing it down the 7hr drive from PA? Is it a hard river to run? Any info would be great and I'm a 100% catch and release fisherman- even walleye. Thanks for any info.

2. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    Does anyone fish the New River for smallmouth? If so any recommendations on launches/sections for a outboard jet? I'm working outside Blacksburg for couple weeks at end of October and may bring my boat with me. Is it worth me towing it down the 7hr drive from PA? Is it a hard river to run? Any info would be great and I'm a 100% catch and release fisherman- even walleye. Thanks for any info.

It can be fairly difficult to learn exactly how to run, but there is quite a few boat launches . Theres about a mile stretch around whitethorne that you can run fairly easily, and then up towards the dam that have longer stretches of flatwater. But going with someone is your best bet IMO to learn, or idle slowly. Good fishing to be had, especially in the fall. Be prepared for a musky or two as well!
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    It can be fairly difficult to learn exactly how to run, but there is quite a few boat launches . Theres about a mile stretch around whitethorne that you can run fairly easily, and then up towards the dam that have longer stretches of flatwater. But going with someone is your best bet IMO to learn, or idle slowly. Good fishing to be had, especially in the fall. Be prepared for a musky or two as well!
    Cool man, thank you. I take it it is really low right now like it is up in PA?

The part of the river right after Claytor lake dam is good and there’s a ramp right there

5. Member
    It’s not susky good but well worth bringing your boat. As others have said Claytor dam tail water, white thorn launch both have good water fairly easy to run ad good numbers and size. Also plenty of musky and walleye and striper below the dam. 100 fish days are not uncommon. The water level usually lives around 2.5 at usgs Radford gauge. At 3 you won’t have any issues running if you know how to read the rapids. The river hasn’t been low all year here.

6. Member
    yes, I would say it would be well worth bringing your boat. The New River has some amazing fishing

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    We’ve had plenty of rain this year in VA!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamsOutdoors View Post
    It’s not susky good but well worth bringing your boat. As others have said Claytor dam tail water, white thorn launch both have good water fairly easy to run ad good numbers and size. Also plenty of musky and walleye and striper below the dam. 100 fish days are not uncommon. The water level usually lives around 2.5 at usgs Radford gauge. At 3 you won’t have any issues running if you know how to read the rapids. The river hasn’t been low all year here.
    Awesome, thanks for help. I'm definitely bringing boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamsOutdoors View Post
    Look like some gnarly ledges around that army ammunition base?