2020 300HP ProXS Lifting Question

I have a 2020 Triton 206 Fishunter with a 300ProXs and I want to swap out the 6" manual jackplate for a Bob's hydraulic. The Mercury details are as follows:

2020 300HP ProXS
    Serial# 2B739652
    Model#: 13000023A (300XLPXS)

I took off the cowling and found the two factory lift hooks. Per BBC searches and Dr. Google I've seen the Mercury lift harness but no images of anyone actually using it. So here is my list of stupid questions.
    1) With only two connection points is the engine prone to swinging forward or backward once lifted or is it properly balanced so it will hold in place? I had a fear of the engine swinging forward (or backward) once on the hoist (cherry picker) and posing a safety issue. My previous install was on a motor with a three point connection so the hoist was very secure.

2) Can I simply use chains as I've done on other jackplate installs or is the harness critical? I don't want to damage a new outboard under warranty.

3) If the chains are fine are there other precautions I should take when I hook up the chain bridle?

Thanks for the help as I don't want to screw up with a 531lb outboard dangling from a rented cherry picker.

Thanks again!
    -Chris

2. Member
    Using chains in the 2 hooks will be fine. I have pulled my motor off twice using an overhead electric crane and only 2 lifting straps on the 2 factory hooks. That was a little different than using a cherry picker so it didn’t swing either way for me. The 2 hooks are in the center balance point of the motor so you should be ok. Just put some pressure on it as you are pulling the motor mount bolts loose and slowly work it loose but it should stay straight.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be careful what you put into the two lifting points- your device needs to move the the high-point of the opening without kinking or binding in any way form or fashion.

IF you use chain, make absolutely sure that there are no kinks in the chain and that the chain does not contact and potentially damage components on top of the engine (such as the alternator).

Utilizing the recommended lifting sling (strap type) eliminates several of the above concerns.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you very much for the feedback. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks again!
    -Chris

5. Member
    I thought I would post the follow up in case anyone every searches for this topic. I used a pair of trailer 12" safety cable extensions rated for 12,000 lbs for the hoist and they worked great. Once on the cherry picker the engine was well balanced from the two harness points and felt very secure. To Don's important point I made sure to put tension on slowly to avoid contact with any of the engine components. I've attached a couple photos for reference.

PXL_20201012_185535163.jpg

PXL_20201012_185545606.jpg

PXL_20201012_185552882.jpg

Thanks for the help!
    -Chris
    Last edited by Parch07; 11-05-2020 at 11:34 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well done!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor