1999 Champ trailer brake upgrade????

The surge drum brake system on my brothers trailer are not working at all. If I am going to have to rebuild the whole system I was thinking about upgrading it to a disc brake system. Has anyone done this on any trailer? Doesn't look imposable to do as most everything is made by UFP anyways. I was planning to take everything apart and get measurements and do research over the winter. Any help pointing me in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated. I will see how this thread does in here and then I may post it closer to when I do the work in the trailer thread area.

Trailer is a 1999 single axle tube style trailer under a 191 Champion. Drum brakes with what looks like an A60 actuator. Will be pulling tires off soon to weld new fenders on the trailer and I will be able get closer look at brakes and axle, spindle and hub.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. There used to be a UFP rep in the Trailers & Towing forum.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I believe there is a drum to caliper conversion available that's not outrageously priced.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I believe there is a drum to caliper conversion available that's not outrageously priced.
    Yeah the kits I think I need are around 450$ for rotor hub caliper kit and 275 for new disc brake actuator. Not to bad for an upgrade on a part that needs replacing anyways.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I would think the actuator you have would work unless it needs rebuilding

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I would think the actuator you have would work unless it needs rebuilding
    Actuator for disc is different than drums. Drums have springs to pull the shoes back and return the fluid to the master cylinder. Discs don’t have the springs so there is a return in the MC.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Also from my reading the drum ones run at 1000psi and disc run 1500-1800 psi

And I think the one on the trailer is shot also. not sure last times the brakes worked on this trailer. its new to us and the trail harness was 4 wire not 5 wire so it must been a while.

I replaced mine with a set of kodiak disc on my 193 and worked great it is an A60 actuator that's for disc (Not Drum). I put speed bleaders in to make bleeding the brake eazer. Love my disc brakes, you will need a back up a solenoid.
    Last edited by Rick Wilson; 10-08-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com