Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Would not have anything over a 115 on a .100 tin. Don't know why they don't follow Xpress.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by figueira View Post
    TCESNI
    they cant repair that welds the bottom of the RT198P are foam filled
    the boat will catch fire and will just go to s.....ts
    Exactly, I have “experience” in this area with a prior boat.

3. Member
    PolarKraft195...
    What thickness of metal does your boat have?? What aluminum does PK use with those high horsepower motors???
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Would not have anything over a 115 on a .100 tin. Don't know why they don't follow Xpress.
    There are a LOT OF OWNERS in Florida that would agree with you on that. Maybe it is because of our shallow waters with gravel and shell beds and logs and stumps. Or maybe the problem is caused by the secondary roads we have with washboard and potholes. Our primary roads are some of the best anywhere but our county roads that lead to ramps are sorta rough sometimes. The constant bouncing on the trailer and the big motor bouncing on the transom just have to be stressful.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    Watch the you tube videos on building a gatortraxx he will tell you why they crack ,there cheap thin sorry supports in under all that foam and they use the foam for strength,but alot of glass boats are same thin and full of foam

6. Member
    Going on 3 years abuse in my alumacraft 205spt with 250sho, no leaks or loose rivets yet. I mainly use boat on lake michigan and northern door county. Most of use is in 2'-6' waves. My ranger 1880 had over 100 gel coat cracks after one trip in these conditions. Hopefully the deeper v or double plated .2" hull holds up. I trust riveted boats over welded unless welded hulls are .25" or greater

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Good Luck OP, keep us posted.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Because higher hp and higher speeds with .100” aluminum is not a good thing. Other factors can be how the pieces fit together when they assemble them. If panels are pressured into fitting and something is stressed it can cause welds to pop like that i never beat mine and it held up but every time you pound a big wave in rough conditions or a boat wake catches you by surprise it was always in the back of my mind. I like not worrying about that anymore. To the OP be a good time to check over every weld on that boat. Hope they get it fixed.
    Word going around that Triton is close to going away like Stratos did.

9. Member
    Update : Dealer told me that Ranger has said that it is from impact damage(which is bullshit). Dealer told me to get my insurance company involved.

10. Member
    Send your insurance company to the location of the boat. Put the ball in their court to argue your point. It should get worked out.
    Last edited by texoma; 11-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    Send your insurance company to the location of the boat. Put the ball in their court to argue your point. It should get worked out.
    Yeah I’ve contacted my insurance company and they’re sending someone out to look at the boat.

12. Member
    That is stress cracking from the hull flexing due to poor bracing. Aluminum is not forgiving when it comes to flexing. I have welded up a lot of boats from many brands that failed just like that.

13. Member
    Still no answers. Marine surveyor contracted by insurance company has sided with me and agrees it isn’t from impact damage as ranger claimed it was. Found no dents to suggest that it was from impact. Now they have hired an expert to determine whether or not it is repairable or not. All boils down to me probably not having a boat to fish out or for the 2021 season. I would HIGHLY suggest that anyone considering buying a ranger aluminum boat to reconsider.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Why are so many brands having this issue? You would think a company would want a quality product to keep from tarnishing their good name.
    Speaking with a boat dealer, he said the problem is the welding jobbers. They go from factory to factory regardless of manufacturer, and work when they get work and whoever pays the most. There's no loyalty and they don't care because they don't stay at one company. Not my words.

I will say though that the other day I was looking at a RT178 and a Txw175 and the welds on the Ranger were 100% better.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Hope things get worked out for ya. It's crazy some of the problems people are having for the money they want for these aluminum rigs.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

I will say though that the other day I was looking at a RT178 and a Txw175 and the welds on the Ranger were 100% better.
    Those 100% better welds sure do seem to crack a lot.

Its a shame that you spend all that money and this happens and they give you the runaround but that bottom after only 1 year, mmm man.
    2015 G3 1860 CCJ -Poly sprayed bottom
    2015 Yamaha 90/65 Jet
    Run skinny, not scared!

The problem is alum flexes. The weld is hard ,brittle and won’t flex
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobothewizard View Post
    Its a shame that you spend all that money and this happens and they give you the runaround but that bottom after only 1 year, mmm man.
    I hear you and I see it doesn’t look good, the only time that touches bottom is one of the lakes I fish often doesn’t have a dock so I by hand pull it up on the sand. Part of why it looks so bad is the paint on these boats is garbage, I have paint that has just chipped off around welds that have never touched anything.

I’m still in limbo waiting to hear from the insurance company who’s experts believe it’s from manufacture defect. My insurance company is in contact with White River.

Anyone one who is considering Ranger aluminum please think twice, unless you fish small bodies of water this might not be the right boat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast