Thread: Jaguar vs. Puma

Question Jaguar vs. Puma

Not that I can afford one, but what engine needs to be on a new Jag to equal the performance of a 2016 Puma / 250 SHO (which I have)....

I bet you'd have to be running a 350 or 400R to get 80ish

3. Member
    A 300 will get you right there

Well just got the 21 Jag with the 400 verado. Still breaking it in but have seen 81.2.

Wayne at Boatshop in San Antonio has his demo for sale. It’s a beautiful boat, looked at it last week. He has a 300 on it and believe he said he’s had it to 78, don’t think it had power poles on it. I’m still drooling over that boat, it’s massive!

It depends on your needs. The new Jaguar is a different boat than the older one and it will run more respectable with the new four stroke 250 engines. The Yamaha performs well on it and we find the 250 to be fine, while everything above that is just more performance for the owner.

7. Member
    I’ll add to this discussion soon. Got a Jaguar DC with a 300 Merc coming this month.

8. Member
    Interested in the same. I would be happy with 70-72 mph if I could get it with a 250, but a few owners of the new hull I’ve talked to who were limited to 250 due to BASS restrictions aren’t getting anywhere close to that tournament loaded. I’ve heard speeds more like 60-62 loaded to fish. Not sure what to believe. If I wasn’t fishing BASS I’d just ball it out with a 350, but that pretty much eliminates fishing BASS events. Wish they would change that rule.

Edit - I would like to see BASS allow horsepower based on hull weight. Example being, maybe allow 300 HP if hull weight exceeds 1900 and length exceeds 21.5. And limit to 200 if hull weight is below 1500. This would allow guys like me (that want a really big boat to avoid getting beat up in big water) to still have a 70 mph boat. I don’t see how a Jaguar with a 300 that goes 75 is less safe than an Allison with a 250 going 84. Doesn’t make any sense from a safety perspective.
    Last edited by blakesfav; 10-12-2020 at 02:17 PM.

9. Member
    60-62 loaded up? Hmm. Spoke to Basscat folks who told me its a mid 70's light and 70-72 loaded boat with a 300. A 250 should only be 3-4mph slower top end???

Rick could answer this more accurately

I have a 2021 jag ordered with a 300 vrod

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    60-62 loaded up? Hmm. Spoke to Basscat folks who told me its a mid 70's light and 70-72 loaded boat with a 300. A 250 should only be 3-4mph slower top end???

Rick could answer this more accurately

I have a 2021 jag ordered with a 300 vrod
    Just what I was told - asking a lot of questions since it’s a perfect set up for me if it will run 70. That’s two guys full fuel and live wells.

11. Member
    I have a 2018 Jaguar with the 400R. Fully loaded with two power poles runs 74MPH at the Rev limit and with live wells full will run 72MPH at the Rev limit.
    Prior to loading the boat with all my gear and installing power poles the boat ran 91MPH at the Rev limit with 27 pitch Mercury racing Max 5 blade and jack plate set on 3.5. Awesome boat to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Interested in the same. I would be happy with 70-72 mph if I could get it with a 250, but a few owners of the new hull I’ve talked to who were limited to 250 due to BASS restrictions aren’t getting anywhere close to that tournament loaded. I’ve heard speeds more like 60-62 loaded to fish. Not sure what to believe. If I wasn’t fishing BASS I’d just ball it out with a 350, but that pretty much eliminates fishing BASS events. Wish they would change that rule.

Edit - I would like to see BASS allow horsepower based on hull weight. Example being, maybe allow 300 HP if hull weight exceeds 1900 and length exceeds 21.5. And limit to 200 if hull weight is below 1500. This would allow guys like me (that want a really big boat to avoid getting beat up in big water) to still have a 70 mph boat. I don’t see how a Jaguar with a 300 that goes 75 is less safe than an Allison with a 250 going 84. Doesn’t make any sense from a safety perspective.
    You can make a heavy hull almost as fast as the light ones. And a 250 simple limit keeps from playing favorites.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    I’ll add to this discussion soon. Got a Jaguar DC with a 300 Merc coming this month.
    Interesting!!!!! Keep in touch with me!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post

if you load a few bags of concrete in the nose of the boat it will limit the performance quite a bit. If you load them properly it would be much better.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    if you load a few bags of concrete in the nose of the boat it will limit the performance quite a bit. If you load them properly it would be much better.
    Hard not to do with the front deck storage on this thing.

16. Member
    Will do, sir!
    break in on Bay Springs Lake Tomorrow.

The new Jaguar hull is an improved hull from the older version prior to it. It’s not just stretched, there are several hull differences that improved virtually all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The new Jaguar hull is an improved hull from the older version prior to it. It’s not just stretched, there are several hull differences that improved virtually all aspects.
    Killing me lol.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

19. Member
    Still breaking it in, but I can tell you already that it is BY FAR, the most impressive bass boat I’ve ever seen or run.
    it is everything I dreamed it would be and a bunch more!