Merc 150 4 stroke Pro XS swap, need info

Has anyone swapped out their 150 EFI to the new 150 4 stroke Pro XS. Was wanting info on what you think about the swap, like hole shot, top end speed, difference in ride. I have a 1997 181 champ and am looking at doing the swap, but can't get any real info from a dealer. They do say I would have to change out the prop, but can't tell me which one. Is the PTP the same, some real life info would be great. Thanks

2. Pat Goff
    You are blazing a trail. Nobody can have an answer because nobody has done it.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I just got done swapping out an efi to the non Pro XS Merc 4 stroke. Used the cables and original harness but had to purchase an adapter cable and went smoothly. BUT, did this on a Center Console. Had prop concerns but used what was on the EFI motor. That seemed to be the ticket, the fella's tach didn't work so we really aren't sure on the numbers. I'm not 100% sure that the harnesses are the same but the adapter cable was less than $75.

4. Member
    Going to watch this closely. I have the same boat and year and thinking of doing the same. Out here in calif. they are slowly squeezing our 2 strokes off the water.

5. Member
    Just completely redone the whole boat on upgrades and don't want to have the added cost of the new motor without some input. I've heard I wouldn't be happy with the 4 stroke after having a 2 stroke. But looking for real people that have actual time on the water.

6. Member
    Pat, why hasn't anyone done that

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    Just completely redone the whole boat on upgrades and don't want to have the added cost of the new motor without some input. I've heard I wouldn't be happy with the 4 stroke after having a 2 stroke. But looking for real people that have actual time on the water.
    Not sure who told you that but everyone i know with a 4 stroke love them I like mine. Only issues I have heard about them is getting them set up right. They seem to need a pitch or two smaller prop than 2 strokes because of gear ratio.

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    Made a decision, not swapping out the motor, going to sell my 181 and get a new boat. Looked at the 2021 Bass Cat 203 Cougar Hybrid on Thursday and went for a factory tour and ride, WOW. Thats the boat for me, smooth, great handling, and awesome looking boat. At 65 mph it drives itself, and tops at about 73. Its not like I'm moving to BC from Champion, now I can have the best of both. just wanted to say thanks for all the help from everyone, and a special thanks to Matt Mosher for his time and info and yesterday on the water in his 203 Puma Hybrid. WOW what a ride! Matt really knows his Champs and his Bass Cats. Just have to get my Cat ordered and put mine up for sale, sad and happy at the same time, I'll miss my 181.