Help with Hammer Rods

I have decided to buy some hammer rods for my backup, guest, and travel rods when I fish on someone elses boat. I have read they are very diverse rods and sound like a perfect match for what I am looking for since I prefer USA made! Here are my questions I could not find answers for!

1. Will their micro guides handle a leader?
    2. How consistent is their power by length? I know my loomis casting rods are more powerful the longer they get!
    3. What are the standout models and uses? I am hoping to get 4-5 casting rods to handle most fishing needs, think co-angler! I know they may not meet every need such as large swimbaits, heavy punching, and mega deep cranks, but would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Below is what I have in mind as of now. I am most unsure how the 7'3 rods in H and MH tips can handle walking and jerk baits. I would not use them a lot for those techniques but would be nice to do so if needed!

7'3" XH jigs/frog
    7'3" or 6'9" H - all purpose in moderate cover
    7'3" or 6"9" MH - treble and light wire
    7'6" MH Cranking rod
    6'9" Drop Shot rod- also ned rig
    Bonus 7'6" Swimbait rod?

So basically if you have fished with hammer rods what would you recommend? I would consider adding a few more rods to be more flexible in different seasons but my goal is to only bring 5 rods on a given trip! Thanks!

2. Member
    I have a few.
    As far as powers they are the same in the 6’9” to the 7’
    I use the 7’ MH (2) as my topwater rods but also work for cranking rods. Throw wiggle warts and series 3 on them early in the year. The 6’9” MH, I have 2, as squarebill/jerkbait rods they work great
    The 7’ heavy makes a great Spinnerbait/buzzbait rod. I throw a chatterbait with it as well.
    I have ever thrown anything for contact baits but need to. The 7’ heavy feels better to me than my Megabass Spinnerbait specials.

I have thrown leaders and guides never hung up.

3. Member
    Call the Tackle Trap they sell Hammer Rods and they can help answer all your questions. I have a 6’9”MH I purchased from them. It is the most versatile rod I have. They are rated 1/2 power heavy, my MH fishes like a Medium. I use mine for Bandit 200’s and smaller topwater’s. I think you can use code BBC10 for a 10% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMT04 View Post
    Call the Tackle Trap they sell Hammer Rods and they can help answer all your questions.
    Thank you. The guys on staff are very knowledgeable about all the Hammer Rods.

If you're in NE Alabama, it would be worth a trip to Boaz. All those rods are in stock and the boys will take good care of you, just mention Bass Boat Central when you come in!

5. Member
    Thank you! This helps a lot! I wanted braid for xh for frogs but tie leader when jig fishing around rocks. I was hoping to double the MH moderate fast for cranks and not get a dedicated crank rod! I may go with a 6'9" and 7'3" MH since I have heard the 7'3" makes a great chatter bait rod also! I may also try the 7 H as a compromise between 6'9" and 7'3" H. Thanks again!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Thank you. The guys on staff are very knowledgeable about all the Hammer Rods.

If you're in NE Alabama, it would be worth a trip to Boaz. All those rods are in stock and the boys will take good care of you, just mention Bass Boat Central when you come in!
    Thanks! I would like to check out those custom hammer rods also if I could get there during the store hours! May have a chance next week! Is it still by appointment only?

Honestly, out of the ones I have, I think I could fish 90 percent of all my baits with the heavy and extra heavy. I don’t own anything lower than the Heavy action but you should probably have a MH thrown in for good measure.

8. Banned
    The hammer 6’9” heavy is one of the most versatile rods I’ve used. T-rig, spinnerbait, vibrating jig, jig, topwater, frog pitching, skipping, the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by AUgrad2002 View Post
    Thanks! I would like to check out those custom hammer rods also if I could get there during the store hours! May have a chance next week! Is it still by appointment only?
    The only thing by appointment would be if you needed to arrange to meet outside of normal business hours which are M-F 7am to 5pm central time. Otherwise, come on in anytime and someone will be happy to help!

10. Member
    The 7'3 H is a "must own" if you're seeking versatility. It can handle any type of moving bait. I also have (2) 7'3 XH for braided line applications.