Smith Mountain fall striper fishing

We'd like to visit our friends in Roanoke and get a little striper fishing in late Oct. or early Nov. I'm somewhat familiar with the lake but haven't striper fished in many years. I prefer live bait fishing but not against throwing lures.

I'd appreciate any information on how the striper fishing is during this period, best techniques, and, where to go on the lake. Also, are large shiners or even shad I can buy available then?

Thanks for all replies.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Right now the stripers are moving "up lake" in the Roanoke arm and are up to around R52 or so. I saw about a half dozen blow up on some shad this afternoon and the shad have moved into the creeks in great numbers but the stripers haven't yet followed in any significant numbers but can't be far away from doing so. So the fishing should continue to improve (water temp was 72 this afternoon), last year late October into November was quite good for artificials such as swim baits, Bomber Long A's and such just before sun rise. Most of the striper boats that I see come by my house seem to favor live bait on planer boards and I'd say that most catch their own bait throwing nets in the back of creeks. As far as buying bait, Captain's Quarter at the RT 122 bridge is open until the end of October, I'm not sure about other sources for bait though. I think November is a prime month.

3. Member
    Good time of the year for stripers on SML. Nothing beats live bait IMO. Get a throw net and catch shad or alewives in the back of creeks and free line them up river. Bring stout gear because there are some big fish roaming around. Good luck

Thanks for the replies!
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Stripers are pretty widely scattered up and down the lake with many having move way up lake past Moorman's Marina. Catches have remained on the low side as the water temperature has been stuck at 68-71 but cooler weather should improve success. I saw one school of stripers blowing up on some bait in the back of a creek yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Stripers are pretty widely scattered up and down the lake with many having move way up lake past Moorman's Marina. Catches have remained on the low side as the water temperature has been stuck at 68-71 but cooler weather should improve success. I saw one school of stripers blowing up on some bait in the back of a creek yesterday.
    How'd you do in the Big Bass yesterday, you win any $$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    How'd you do in the Big Bass yesterday, you win any $$ ?
    Oh geez, someone had to ask. I sucked, big time. Friday I stayed up lake where I usually fish and caught a single 13" fish. There were boats of all kinds everywhere, you would have sworn it was a Saturday. Since Saturday was forecast to be another nice day I decided to head down lake and at least see some new water. And going down lake at 6:30 AM was a death defying act in itself with hundreds of boats streaming from the state park, marinas, etc. heading to where they wanted to start. And then it got really busy as everyone took advantage of the nice day and went cruising in pontoons, big boats, jet skis, etc. I caught three legal bass and three shorts with the nicest bass topping off at a whopping 2.25 lbs. And I caught that early on a buzzbait, it was all downhill after that. And then a real bumpy ride home. So today I decide I'm staying "local" again, no need for a long run in the rain and geez it was dark at 7 am. But obviously there was no recreational boating today and very few striper guys and I only saw maybe 6 or 7 bass boats all day, nice! I had two bites between 10 and 10;30, both on a crank bait, both really good fish in the 4 lb. range and both jumped and came off. And those were the only two bites I had all freaking day long. Give me another beer.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway