Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I have never had one that was right, 2-3 mpg difference, they are nicknamed the lieometer for a reason.
    hate to hear of your bad luck.. hope it gets better. What do you currently drive ?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    hate to hear of your bad luck.. hope it gets better. What do you currently drive ?
    Not bad luck at all its just a common thing, there is no way for the computer to tell exactly how much fuel is injected and how efficiently that fuel was burned. I currently drive a few different vehicles but I guess my main one is a 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Not bad luck at all its just a common thing, there is no way for the computer to tell exactly how much fuel is injected and how efficiently that fuel was burned. I currently drive a few different vehicles but I guess my main one is a 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke.
    We can only go off what WE actually have experience with--- mine and the newer videos show the Chevys to be real accurate when filled properly and checked with a calculator..

4. Member
    Mine is within 1-2 mpg on a 18 Chevy

5. Member
    We can only go off what WE actually have experience with--- mine and the newer videos show the Chevys to be real accurate when filled properly and checked with a calculator..

As a mechanic I have had experience with quite a few vehicles. The fuel MPG readout goes off of your speedometer reading and how much fuel the computer is calling for. However there can be a considerable difference in the amount of fuel that the computer thinks its injecting and what is actually getting injected. Injector tolerances, fuel pressure, fuel aeration, and fuel quality are all things the computer doesn't take into account, then there is the issue of how efficiently the fuel that was injected actually burned, and there are many factors that can affect that as well.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 10-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.

UPDATE
    Finally got to do a fair highway test. 3.0 ltr half ton Duramax 4 wheel drive, cruise set on 75------Amarillo to Ft Worth and back on one tank (with little to no wind) . 23.4 gallons to go 681 miles = 29.1 mpg, Computer showed 27.9- also showed the best for 50 miles to be 32.9 mpg. I've put a little over 3000 miles on this truck, it still has 3/8 tank of DEF . Until this trip all the highway miles had been under extreme conditions. Towed the boat 440 miles to Del Rio with either a head wind or 3/4 side wind of over 20 mph the whole way, with cruise set on 75 it still got 14.5----my last 5.3 ltr would have done about 10 under those conditions, the best it ever got towing was 14.. On the return trip we hit freezing rain and snow about Sterling city and drove the next 360 miles in 4 wheel drive.
    I still mow about 20 yards a week to support my fishing habit so most of the town miles are with a trailer.. With all that said-- computer shows total mileage to date of 3440 miles with an average of 20.1 MPG
    So far I'm loving this truck, it's everything I hoped for and then some.

For the performance side--- Tires are the small ones and spin to easy. I have a drag racing app loaded on my phone which is not real accurate but it shows the 3.0 ltr to be faster than my 5.3 both towing and empty from 0 to 70 mph.. Just by seat of the pants I think the 5.3 has a little more passing juice than the diesel.

THANKS !! I'm sure looking that direction.

With my easy pulling boat if it will get 17 or better thats about 5 MPG more towing and most likly 10 more empty.
    Friend of mine has a 5.0 Coyote that gets 17 mpg pulling his big Lund, which is heavier and more wind resistance then your Ally

Not familiar with that mtr ?

Be interesting to see what it does get pulling the Ally under normal conditions.

9. Member
    a good friend has the 2020 chevy with the little duramax. he pulls his 8k travel trailer 8 hours at a time and is getting 11-12 mpg. he says it pulls great (he came from a 3/4 ton duramax) and doesn't miss his 3/4. he is also getting upwards of 30 mpg when not pulling.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Not familiar with that mtr ?

Be interesting to see what it does get pulling the Ally under normal conditions.

This is the height of the boat going down the road.

11. Member
    UPDATE
    Finally got to do a fair highway test. 3.0 ltr half ton Duramax 4 wheel drive, cruise set on 75------Amarillo to Ft Worth and back on one tank (with little to no wind) . 23.4 gallons to go 681 miles = 29.1 mpg, Computer showed 27.9- also showed the best for 50 miles to be 32.9 mpg. I've put a little over 3000 miles on this truck, it still has 3/8 tank of DEF . Until this trip all the highway miles had been under extreme conditions. Towed the boat 440 miles to Del Rio with either a head wind or 3/4 side wind of over 20 mph the whole way, with cruise set on 75 it still got 14.5----my last 5.3 ltr would have done about 10 under those conditions, the best it ever got towing was 14.. On the return trip we hit freezing rain and snow about Sterling city and drove the next 360 miles in 4 wheel drive.
    I still mow about 20 yards a week to support my fishing habit so most of the town miles are with a trailer.. With all that said-- computer shows total mileage to date of 3440 miles with an average of 20.1 MPG
    So far I'm loving this truck, it's everything I hoped for and then some.

For the performance side--- Tires are the small ones and spin to easy. I have a drag racing app loaded on my phone which is not real accurate but it shows the 3.0 ltr to be faster than my 5.3 both towing and empty from 0 to 70 mph.. Just by seat of the pants I think the 5.3 has a little more passing juice than the diesel.
    So how was the fishing at Amistad? I haven't been down there since March but plan on bringing the boat down on Thanksgiving weekend for a little fishing.

12. ZO6
    No..... I don't think my flats boat is heavier. In fact the hull is kevlar top cap fiberglass. Probably lighter. Dual axle trailer. But that is what I get. Not trying to imply its more economical than gas but compared to my Yukon it pulls and handles the rig much better. The 10 speed never hunts for gears from NW Arkansas to SW Florida. The truck and boat are usually loaded to capacity on these trips because it's usually a minimum of a month stay. And most of the time I carry more than I need. So far i'm satisfied.
    Aren't we glad we all don't have to drive the same truck?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    So how was the fishing at Amistad? I haven't been down there since March but plan on bringing the boat down on Thanksgiving weekend for a little fishing.
    Amistad is fishing tough. Rudys just had the hourly big bass tournament which pays 3 places each hour (Border Bass Battle).. Had over 230 entries and the largest was a little over 7 lbs.. Amazing how many 2 and 3 lb fish got a check.. Not sure there were more than a total of six fish weighed that were 5 lbs or bigger.
    Hydrilla is in pretty good shape for it being 12 -14 ft lower than this spring. All the spots I had from spring tournaments are on the bank now.
    I'll be headed back down sometime around turkey day.

14. Member
    Bought one in May and it has almost 14k on it. Tows my Phoenix 921 pro xp without issue, but does not match my previous Ram Hemi when passing in traffic. It does beat the crap out of it on mileage. My best highway tank was 27.5, but I tend to run in the 75 to 85 range unless towing. It didn’t do as good as expected towing. I only get around 15 or 16. Daily commute is averaging around 22. My hemi averaged around 13. Had to run mid grade in my hemi and it’s higher than diesel. Add in the cost of def and it may be equal, but you don’t use much def unless you’re towing. Keep in mind, this motor is a mileage motor and not a power motor. I work at a plant and got to talk to the drivetrain engineer about the engine. They have test mules pulling over 15,000 lb loads without issue. They did have to change the time and it does affect mileage, but he said durability has been fantastic. He said it has actually been better than expected.

I also love the 10 speed transmission. I’ve got a Z71 4X4 RST model and I like almost everything about it. The Ram did ride better and have more cab storage spots, but I like the Minimax enough to put up with it.

15. Member
    My Minimax mileage increased about 4mpg after I got around 6k on it. Went from low to mid 20’s to nearly 28mpg on the highway. Again, driving faster than I should be. But I’m just trying to stay with the flow.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Friend of mine has a 5.0 Coyote that gets 17 mpg pulling his big Lund, which is heavier and more wind resistance then your Ally
    Your friend is lying or really bad at math.

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post

No he isn’t, I was with him when he filled up after we fished in S.D. Hell I get 14 MPG with a 5.4 towing over 4000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Shots fired.

Shots fired.
    I can explain it to him

But I can’t make him understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I can explain it to him

But I can’t make him understand.
    From the little research I've done on the coyote --- I'd have to see it to believe it myself.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast