Question Towing with half ton diesel ?

Anyone towing there boat with the new Chev diesel in a half ton ?
    Love to hear some reports. Time to get a new truck and I've never been able to justify nor liked the ride of a big diesel. Last three rigs have been the 5.3 ltr gas rig and they have done a great job for my application.. From the mileage estimates on the small diesel it may double what I get towing and right now in my area gas is only a dime cheaper than diesel.
    Please no Ford vs Chev Vs Toyota vs Ram comments..

Please no Ford vs Chev Vs Toyota vs Ram comments

Well you just knocked out 90 precent of the guys that would reply! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Please no Ford vs Chev Vs Toyota vs Ram comments

Well you just knocked out 90 precent of the guys that would reply! Good luck!
    Another reason it's not in the lounge !!!!!!!!!!!
    Just looking for someone with actual experience.

4. Member
    I have heard good thing about the new half ton diesel, but haven't driven one. What mileage are you currently getting in your 5.3? I run the 6.2, I love this thing. Its a blast to drive and tows everything I have put behind it great.

Have a small utility trailer I pull 2-3 days a week in town and this truck only gets 11-12 pulling it. Depending on conditions it gets from 10-14 pulling the Allison highway. Normal empty highway mileage running 75 is 18-20.. I've never had power issue with any of my 5.3 The increased mileage is the main thing I'm looking at. My 2015 has 107 thousand miles, over half of those had a trailer in tow. From the reports and EPA ratings the 3.0 ltr diesel will easily get 5 mpg better towing.
    Don't know for how long it will last but today in Amarillo diesel was $1.73 gas was one cent more.. first time in years diesel was cheaper.

I haven't used one but all the stuff that matter when towing, brakes, suspension, etc will be the same. I am sure the diesel has plenty of power to tow so if you are happy with how your current truck does it, I'm sure you'll like the diesel.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    I have a diesel Canyon. Not exactly what you're looking at, but I would think they'd be similar.

First off, the low end torque is fantastic. I got low-mid 30s with normal mixed driving and 16-22 mpg towing, with 19 mpg being relatively typical. 16 is worse case with faster driving on a bunch of ozark hills. I think the epa numbers on my truck are very conservative. My biggest complaint with my truck towing is that I can feel the boat back there more than I would with a larger truck.

I would expect the Silverado to burn a little more fuel than my truck with the same load. Also, my truck has some sort of engine braking/exhaust braking where it will downshift to help maintain speed on hill descents. I think the diesel Silverado has something similar. It's something that's different if you're not used to it. Just be sure to see what you think about it.
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

8. Member

Buddy has one, he now drives 5mph over the speed limit he before with his Chevy gasser he would drive 5-10 under speed limit. He says it's great.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Banned
    Not sure what trimline you would normally buy, but may be something to look at. When I was looking at the Colorado and Silverado diesels they wernt offered in the ower trimlines Id be interested in so it was a pretty big dollar amount upgrade.
    I think generally we buy trucks because we want them. If you sit down and do math we probably dont make too many decisions that make economic sense.
    Small diesel costs more to buy, more to maintain, probably higher insurance, DEF.. usually more expensive fuel. But better mileage. At some point you will reach a break even point on dollars per mile... Now is that break even point gonna be in the life time of the truck ?
    I did that with a gas to diesel 2500... Came up with 180,000 miles not counting oil and filters. Just purchase price and fuel cost.
    As much as any of these trucks costs though, the payment difference isnt gonna make a huge difference in your life. I say get what makes you happy.
    My next truck will be a half ton diesel. Currently have a 2500 and a small car the 1/2 ton will take place of both.

11. Member
    Friend just bought a heavy half and says he cant tell the boat is back there.Very quiet also

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fish View Post
    Friend just bought a heavy half and says he cant tell the boat is back there.Very quiet also
    Went from tundra pulling basscat puma 10 mpg pulling boat to ram eco diesel pulling same boat 19 mpg on the road without boat running 78 mph 26 mpg 2 years 30,000 miles no problems yet.

13. Member
    My brother has a new Chevy half ton diesel crew cab I think it is a crew cab it has four doors. He put a two or three inch lift on it and it looks great and the ride is fantastic. It has 14,000 miles and he loves it. I have a 2018 2500 Chevy Duramax and I like also but may change next time. I have a 2014 Ranger 119c with a 225 sho and he was over at my house and I needed to pull my boat to dealer for winterization 60 miles each way. I said time to try out your 6 cylinder diesel. I drove 65 mph did not even know the boat was back there did it effortlessly. Without boat 25 plus miles per gallon with boat as per trip calculator on truck average was 17 miles per gallon. Trip to dealer was no town driving two lane highway. I told a friend about this truck and he purchased one only he got a GMC and did not put on a lift he is reporting about the same mileage he pulls a 520 Ranger only gets about 30 miles from home and he has 3500 miles on his and is very happy with it. It looks like this inline six may be a good rig, time will tell..............

14. Member
    I think GM hit a homerun with the 3.0 Duramax. I love my '15 6.2 but I have to admit the new diesel is very intriguing. Looking forward to more replies from guys who own one.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

So far mine has impressed me

16. Member
    Purchased a High Country with 3.0 Duramax in June. Getting 28-29 MPG on the highway. Pulling a Ranger Z520C I'm averaging 16MPG. Pulling a 6,500 lb travel trailer I averaged just over 12 MPG. Really like the truck so far. The 10 speed transmission shifts very smooth. I would buy this truck again if something happened to the current one.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open