Spinning Rod Balancing

Does anyone on here have a Megabass Orichi XX whipsnake? If so what reel are you using on it? I have a Daiwa LT 2500 but the rod is very tip heavy in my opinion. What has anyone done to balance the whipsnake or any spinning rod for that matter?

2. Member
    Changing the weight of a reel doesn't really affect balance that much. IMO, the best way of getting a rod to balance the way you like it, is to add weight at the very butt of the rod. I build my own rods, and the only rods I worry about the balance on, are rods that I fish tip up, with slack and semi slack line techniques. I actually add the needed weight inside the butt of the rod blank.

The reason I do it that way, is because extending the length of the rear grip can make a rod difficult to use.

No info on that specific rod, but I will say that I think the reel doesn't matter a lot for balancing a casting rod, but it matters more for a spinning rod since its weight hangs down below the rod. I'm no physics pro, but I believe the spinning reel hanging down relative to a casting reel is akin to moving the "force" further from the fulcrum when talking about a class 1 lever like a fishing rod. This means that a given amount of force applied (i.e., the weight of the reel) would translate to a greater force applied to the load (the weight of the rod) with a spinning rod than with a casting rod.

Did not think I'd ever be using what I learned in that physics class in college on a fishing rod forum. Hopefully that wasn't a misapplication of what I was taught!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Drew, I think the reason weight in a spinning reel has more affect than weight is a casting reel, has to do with how their weight is distributed. Casting reels are more compact, with their weight pretty much centered on the reel foot. Spinning reels don't have equal weight distribution. An unbalanced reel in relation to its' connection point with the rod, coupled with as you mentioned, the length of the reel foot stem, is what I believe makes the difference you are talking about.

One of the reasons I prefer Tenn. Handles, I can move the balance point with moving the reel. I can get it to balance so tip tip is a 11 o'clock. I have played with different reels too, I do feel the reel weight does matter, I have a Shimano Tenn. I ended up putting a mid grade reel on because I needed a little more weight. I fish a lot of light line jigs, and balance is very critical.