New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Article in newspaper today got me thinking about oxygen levels???

they had an article in the southcoast newspaper today about lobsters dying near the cape from lack of oxygen in certain depths of water. Caught in traps they can't escape the oxygen depleted water like if they were allowed to swim away. Got me thinking about how bad the fishing has been on a lot of are bodies of water . In the article it stated because of the lack of storms and low water and higher temps the oxygen levels are dangerously low in certain areas and having an adverse reaction. Could this be our problem? No dying fish because they can swim to a better area or at least to escape the lack of oxygen just don't have enough to be chasing and so on???? Give me your thoughts
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    You could be on to something right there. I know in the winter the smaller ponds that ice up earliest always seem to get oxygen depleted by late winter and the fish just wont bite or move.

3. Moderator
    The way fishing has been and the drought we're in it could possibly be lack of oxygen. Never thought of that. Thought it was just me having a bad year.

even if it isn't the reason, it is a great excuse and you know us fisherman love those.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

The cape is water table, not run off. Around here the go to, its the Bases (Otis)fault

6. Member
    I've got a Haas oxygen test kit around here somewhere that you can borrow, if curiosity gets the best of you. Same gear that NH F&G used to use. Don't have a system to capture a sample at depth though.