Banned

Tire pressure going from cold to hot climate

Just read a thread highlighting the importance of filling trailer tires to their max recommended "cold" pressure. I've towed my boat each of the last 15 years from Massachusetts to Florida (1400 miles each way) in January returning in April. Temps can be at or below freezing when I head south and (hopefully) progressively warmer along the way. Should the tire pressure be adjusted to account for the differing temps along the way either North to South or South to North.
    Always considered this but never did anything about it. Had 1 blowout in all that time so must not be that critical but I'm wondering if I've just been lucky and should be doing something to better my odds of a trouble free trip.

2. Scraps
    I think the best you can do is check them when cold - without having driven, like in the morning. I'd guess that there is plenty of margin included in the cold pressure to account for any changes in ambient temps.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Banned
    buy an add on tire pressure monitor,, less than $100,, Plug and play,,, little solar unit on the dash and screw on caps over the tire valves.

One I use on my horse trailer,

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-P...1662595&sr=8-4

Check the tires cold before you leave. Check them again the morning after you arrive in FL and adjust accordingly.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Banned
    tires will pick up 7-8 psi from driving. I think they get more heat from driving than ambient. I run mine at 60psi, a really cold freezing morning I will be down to 52 and alarm will go off, but about 10 miles or so back up. Seriously, that gadget I posted is worth it.. See its even cheaper now.

6. Member
    Cold Tire PSI is considered 68 degrees ambient. So it doesn't matter where you are if set when the temp is at that.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. Banned
    fill with nitogen and no problems. constant temp.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadcat41 View Post
    fill with nitogen and no problems. constant temp.
    My trailer tires are nitrogen filled . still gain 10 psi when warmed up

9. Member
    Cause there's still oxygen in there, you would have to try and evacuate what's in there before putting in pure nitrogen.

BTW, atmosphere is 78% nitrogen/ 21% oxygen.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC