Need some assistance with Vessel View Link install

I'm new to the forum and have some questions. I recently purchased a brand new 40 HP Mercury 4 stroke, s/n 1C602395. In addition I also got a side remote shifter (881170a13), (8M0110639) Vessel View Link kit for a single engine and a (878492K14) Junction Box kit. I already have the (N2K-EXP-RD-2) NMEA Gateway kit which I installed. I would like to keep my Lowrance Elite Ti7 and use it for monitoring the engine functions. I installed all the above items except the motor and side remote shifter which the dealer did. I've been exploring my options and have some questions.

Question 1) On the remote shifter is a rectangular 10 pin plug. What is this used for? I'm assuming that this is the hookup for a harness that would go to instruments in the helm.

Question 2) Looking at pics in another post I see that the Vessel View Link has a blue cable with it. So, the blue cable would be required also to "talk" to the Vessel View module or is it required for engines that aren't equipped for Smartcraft options like the late model motors?

Question 3) Is there a basic diagram any where that shows the layout of this hardware in conjunction with the Vessel View Link including a view of the engine?

Question 4) I know my Ti7 is a little dated but I would like to keep it to monitor engine functions and hold down expenses if at all possible. Any problems with this?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks folks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1. This is a Can-Network Connection point for Can-P and/or Analog Instrumentation Harnesses.

2. VVL does not "come" with a blue cable unless purchased from a dealer that puts together a kit for you.

3. No as there are literally dozens of possible scenarios and configurations.

4. Not compatible. The later version Ti2 series will work, but yours will not communicate AT ALL. It can "see" the Mercury Device but will NOT talk to it.

Where/how did you come by these components?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased the items referenced. The idea is to do away with gages all together and just use a monitor to keep track of engine functions. This way when I change boats or outboards like I just did, I won't have to get new gages like when I swapped to a Mercury outboard from Yamaha, at least that's the intent. I'm also under the impression that I can use the Elite Ti7. According to Mercury information under the Vessel View Link information, it states that the Elite Ti (7 inch or larger) is supposed to be compatible. This is part of the reason I went this route. I will contact Mercury and see whether this is the case since the information is contradictory to what you're saying. I don't doubt what you're saying and I appreciate your taking time to respond. Mercury needs to fix their statement under that link to state that Ti2 will work, if that was there intent. One way or another I will figure out what it's going to take to accomplish this goal. Information is fleeting on the SmartCraft installation is what I'm finding. I've talked to two different dealers and gotten two different scenarios so lets just say I'm a little skeptical of dealing with them. It's a little disheartening to have to go through all this searching to get something that's treated so cryptically and then to find out it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by eshaw; 10-04-2020 at 05:20 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately, the Ti2 is compatible (not the earlier Ti-7's though).

One of the reasons you're perceiving the "cryptic" nature is that there are literally DOZENS of potential configurations for a Smartcraft Network. Personally- I prefer the simplest based one what you have in your boat.

You're going to need a cable with appropriate genders to connect from the 10-pin at your control to the J-Box, as well as a Terminating Resistor (location and type depends on which control you have).

You'll then also need a NMEA-2000 Network, and a display capable of working with the VVL.

Our Parts Department can assist up to and including the NMEA-2000 network.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Finally got it up and running, today as a matter of fact. I used my Elite Ti7, junction box kit, another yellow terminator and a Vessel View Link kit. Works just like I wanted.