F150 Ecoboost oil pan leaks

I’m sure there are people here that have experienced the dreaded Ford Ecoboost oil pan leak. I bought a 2015 F150 w/ the 2.7L Ecoboost engine used three years ago at 23,000 miles. Now at 64,000 miles it was in the shop 5 weeks last year in which they either replaced or resealed the oil pan 4 times. Now for the 5th time in a year it is leaking again. Technically the factory warranty period is over, but Ford is taking responsibility because they are having so many issues with these engines leaking from the oil pan. I believe also you get a 12 month 12,000 mile service warranty for this type of repair regardless of factory warranty. I told them if it wasn’t covered that I wasn’t going to pay to fix it, and I won’t. I’ll trade it somewhere or sell it and go to back to GM or RAM.

I would like to hear from others that have had any issues with the oil pan leak.

Buckman

2. Banned
    are you going to the same shop each time ? That might be the problem. A primitive Pete not using a torque wrench.

No experience with your engine but I do know a Dodge transmission pan will leak if you dont follow torque specs and directions pretty exact.

Yes same shop, and you are not the only person to ask that question. However from what I have heard this is pretty common, and this time they are saying that Ford has come out with a new procedure. But guess what, that’s what they told me the last time. This was the longest interval that it didn’t leak. They last fixed it on New Years Eve 2019, so 10 months ago.

4. Banned
    Id go off on service manager and tell them to get someone competent to do the job

5. Member
    Has the oil pan warped by chance. I'm sure it's aluminum. The way the are trying to make everything lighter these day's if the pan is soft enough the hot oil could cause the pan to warp which would cause a leak to constantly develop no matter what kind of seal/gasket they use. Next time they try to fix it make sure they replace the oil pan to see if this helps. Also the bottom of the block could be slightly warped which would also keep a gasket leak tight for very long. I know Ford had a ton of problems on these motors in 2015. A lot of the issue's were from the motor getting too hot.

6. Member
    I believe that pan is plastic with a plastic drain plug

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plki View Post
    I believe that pan is plastic with a plastic drain plug
    And there lies the problem.

The pan has been replaced at least 1 time. They are composite pans, & block is Compacted Graphite Iron-Aluminum. I just got the truck back this past Thursday 10/15/20 so fingers crossed 5th times a charm! If it leaks again I am seriously looking to get away from Ford. I had my last Chevy Silverado for 14 years with zero major issues in 164,000 miles. I wasn’t looking to buy another truck for at least 5 years, but need something reliable. Had this Ford for 3 years and nothing but problems the last 2 years.

9. Scraps
    Not sure what the 2015 looks like. My 2018 has a plastic oil pan and a plastic plug. My last oil change at 28k I noticed how loose that yellow plug was. NO leaks yet, but has me a little concerned. This is a quarter turn plug, no torque spec required. I have a note to replace the o-rings on this plug next change. The 2015 may have the fancy flow-moto valve on it I think. Mine does not.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD