Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyjack10 View Post
    It does mention that it has "enhance" mega side imaging. I think that it increase the SI from 200 to 250 feet
    Stated in Features for the G3:

Industry-leading Humminbird sonar: Equipped with MEGA Side Imaging+, MEGA Down Imaging+ and Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar to keep you on the fish. MEGA Imaging+ provides views up to 250' under and out to either side of your boat and Dual Spectrum CHIRP shows exceptional 2D sonar with superior target separation and fish clarity.

This is stated for the G2:

NEW MEGA Side Imaging+: See the world below like never before with crystal-clear viewing out to 200 feet on either side of your boat. You'll unlock more fish and structure with 20% more detail than MEGA Side Imaging Sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    Thanks, figured but wanted to make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Helix and number series units can be adjusted with split screen so instead of 50/50, it can be 40/60, 30/70, 20/80
    SOLIX units don't have that feature.

This is 30/70

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Stated in Features for the G3:

Industry-leading Humminbird sonar: Equipped with MEGA Side Imaging+, MEGA Down Imaging+ and Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar to keep you on the fish. MEGA Imaging+ provides views up to 250' under and out to either side of your boat and Dual Spectrum CHIRP shows exceptional 2D sonar with superior target separation and fish clarity.

This is stated for the G2:

NEW MEGA Side Imaging+: See the world below like never before with crystal-clear viewing out to 200 feet on either side of your boat. You'll unlock more fish and structure with 20% more detail than MEGA Side Imaging Sonar.
    Thanks Wayne. I missed this one.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Not a hb owner, so I apologize for a rookie question....but when you say adjustable panes, does that mean they have to be in even quarters or halves?
    As was already answered, the "legacy" line of HB equipment has the ability to determine the "split point". You can't do that on the Solix. With Solix, you can do the following:

1. Full Screen
    2. A 2-way split... either side by side or above and below
    3. A 3-way split... one full width with 2 others split side by side
    4. A 4-way split... 4 equal sections of the screen

With a 15" unit, I use the 4-way split a lot when I'm trolling... Nav/contours in the upper left, 2D Sonar on upper right, Down Image on lower right, and Side Image on lower left. I really like having the 2D directly above the DI so that I can get the total picture of both 2D markings of fish as well as the DI. Since I troll for stripers, I'm more interested in the fish/schools in the water column than I am the actual bottom structure.

The beauty of the Solix, with the touch screen, is that I can touch any of those panes with two fingers and it immediately makes that pane full screen. Another two finger touch of the screen and it immediately returns to the 4 pane view.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Hubbard View Post
    Still no adjustable panes. A shame they don’t add that Helix feature.
    Couldn't agree more. I love my Solix but would love it even more with that feature!!!

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinOmyTeeth View Post
    Agree that no real upgrade besides what is mentioned above. Given that I only have a slight lag in my maps that have lots of autochart live data it's not worth the upgrade to me. To bad they didn't introduce an app like Lowrance's "Link" that uses the wifi signal to display/control the control head screen on your tablet or phone - that would make me interested!
    Actually, Garmin also has a similar app called "Active Captain". You can use it to view any Garmin unit but you can also control some of their lines. I actually have a Garmin unit in my WakeSurf boat's "glass dash" and, in addition to controlling the dash display from my phone, I can even record what is being displayed on the screen on my phone... Much better than to use a phone to record a video or take a photo of the screen with all the glare and reflections.

7. Member
    More good info, thanks. The split matters a little less knowing it's easy to jump back and forth. My new boat will have these unless the dealer talks me into helixes.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    As was already answered, the "legacy" line of HB equipment has the ability to determine the "split point". You can't do that on the Solix. With Solix, you can do the following:

1. Full Screen
    2. A 2-way split... either side by side or above and below
    3. A 3-way split... one full width with 2 others split side by side
    4. A 4-way split... 4 equal sections of the screen

With a 15" unit, I use the 4-way split a lot when I'm trolling... Nav/contours in the upper left, 2D Sonar on upper right, Down Image on lower right, and Side Image on lower left. I really like having the 2D directly above the DI so that I can get the total picture of both 2D markings of fish as well as the DI. Since I troll for stripers, I'm more interested in the fish/schools in the water column than I am the actual bottom structure.

The beauty of the Solix, with the touch screen, is that I can touch any of those panes with two fingers and it immediately makes that pane full screen. Another two finger touch of the screen and it immediately returns to the 4 pane view.

8. Member
    Both Helix and Solix are written in Linux, coming from a software development background the non-adjustable panes is not a limitation of the hardware / OS. They have selected the views option as the only path which is a bummer given owners of Solix since G1 have requested this feature from onset. Solix are great units by that feature being not available it turned my boat into a Solix / Helix hybrid on the bow & console.

Solix Operating System – Page 284 - Linux Reference - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...683.1594744595

Helix Operating System – Page 296 - Linux Reference–
    https://879dd651a809fc1b59de-035169d...s%20Manual.pdf

They are both great units with different advantages and disadvantages.

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Good post.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

10. Member
    Still no adjustable panes. A shame they don’t add that Helix feature.

agree x 1000! Its why I ended up going with 3 new lives vs g3's on my ordered Basscat

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Both Helix and Solix are written in Linux, coming from a software development background the non-adjustable panes is not a limitation of the hardware / OS. They have selected the views option as the only path which is a bummer given owners of Solix since G1 have requested this feature from onset. Solix are great units by that feature being not available it turned my boat into a Solix / Helix hybrid on the bow & console.

Solix Operating System – Page 284 - Linux Reference - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...683.1594744595

I'm an avid Solix user but the gap has definitely gotten a little closer with the introduction of the 15" Helix.

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    New stuff is cool.
    That Apex 19 will end up on Bass boats and it'll probably make the hulls list a bit...

What a beast...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    New stuff is cool.
    That Apex 19 will end up on Bass boats and it'll probably make the hulls list a bit...

What a beast...
    You have any links to the Apex stuff? I really want the faster processor on the new Solix but I may want the Apex even more :-)

14. Banned

100% .... One of my programmers said the same thing when I was showing him why I still run a Helix with my M360. I was also showing him the waypoint management and he just laughed. I have heard they are working on the waypoint management so I hope that's true. I just want to be able to delete waypoints buy icon type.

15. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I do not.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    100% .... One of my programmers said the same thing when I was showing him why I still run a Helix with my M360. I was also showing him the waypoint management and he just laughed. I have heard they are working on the waypoint management so I hope that's true. I just want to be able to delete waypoints buy icon type.
    Waypoint management, I wish there was a setting to turn off names, and just use icons. I have 3000 waypoints all un names and in a number, no reason to display a number unless i curser onto it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    On Solix the parameters under (NAV TOOL in main settings menu)waypoint management has what it calls "visibility", and you can choose to show the name with the icon or just the icon. Not sure on Helix. I don't have one. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 10-04-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

18. Member
    When I bought Solix after Helix I was shocked - Solix does not have a search of waypoints by name. Stone Age.
    WBR,
    Ihor
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    UMS Tuna boats - 410 DC TT
    Humminbird Solix 12 G3 + AS GPS HS + Humminbird 360MEGA + MinnKota Terrova 55lb I-pilot LINK + Minn Kota Alternator MK-1

Quote Originally Posted by mig29 View Post
    When I bought Solix after Helix I was shocked - Solix does not have a search of waypoints by name. Stone Age.
    2nd
    Been saying that for years now
    Not to mention rather than using the industries standard waypoint icons it uses these goofy boxed icons that don’t transfer to any other unit across all brands including HB
    "The handicapped angler"

20. Banned
    Hope the new G3 will be fast .... G2 sold - very slow ...

20200419_162207.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast