Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X19 Yamaha sho 200 prop games

In mid September, I "went & did it"----Bought an X19 with a Yamaha SHO 200hp hangin on the back. Not sure I wanted/needed that much umph, but that was the package deal. 3 different dealers told me that price increase from Xpress was gonna be in the 6-8% range from 2020 to 2021 models, which is roughly the difference in cost between the 2021 model year for the 175hp vs the current pricing with the 200hp motors. So I bit on that as soon as I sold my old H18 Xpress with the 150 Merc Opti. I have done my 10 hour break-in on the engine and feel like there is more to get outta that firebreather hangin on transom than 63 mph @ 5600 rpms. Yes, the boat came with a PowerTech VMX 25p prop & its not a smooth ride over 60+ mph. Dealer stated that this was the prop recommended by Xpress for
    the X19 with the 200 SHO.
    Have u heard THAT story before, from years ago threads on BBC? I have, but cannot find any recent (in the last 2 years, & sometimes things change) opinions/recommendations with this boat and motor set up. So I am asking for some input for other prop options not named PowerTech. A few years ago, the Turbo FXP 25p seemed to have a lot of support as did the Mercury Tempest+ 25p. Has anything changed on these prop games, or do I just want to ante up for either of these 2 choices? Because PowerTech (63 @ 5600) ain't making the cut!

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    Ok Ark, will move to that thread. For whatever reason, only getting 1 page on the Xpress Boats forum Thx.
    edit. Dammit, date settings changed and i didnt notice. geez...
    Last edited by roadkillIL; 10-01-2020 at 02:35 PM.

4. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Didn't mean for you to move, was just giving a reference.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

5. Member
    Yes that boat has More in it than 63! The pt is just not the right prop for the xpress hull. If your looking for just speed then you can look at a real T1. txp/fxp or tempest in 24-25 pitch to start. you want to prop to be as close to 6000 as possible. If you want what I consider the best all around prop it would be a bravo xs in a 25 just handles better and only 1-2 mph slower than any 3 blade I’ve tried. Good luck and congratulations
    2015 X19 200 SHO

The VMX has too much pitch progression... The T1/T2 is a much better prop

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Turbo FXP 25p (Back) ordered, delivery due date in mid? October.
    Fond of Merc Tempest+, but staying with the brand. Will provide update, when prop arrives, for BBC review.

8. Member
    The Yamaha Sho t2 props are good too.

9. Member
    Update 10.02.20 Took a couple friends out on the Miss. today. Ran the 200 SHO hard bfore they showed up. Break in is done (10 hrs) so I let the big dog eat for most of an hour (per BBC advise of run it like u stole it), except when dodging towboats. 63 up the river and almost 70 down the river at WOT. RPMs 5600ish & water psi 17ish. Add 2 skinny friends (270 lbs I would guess, haven't weighed them since 1 of them is a female) and it was 58 up the river & 62+ down the river. Boat is not loaded up yet, but gas tank was full. Hmmm, is that all the PowerTech prop has? Feeling better about that Turbo FXP $$$ buy. Was suprised the boat handled so differently.

10. Member
    2021 X19 200 SHO, 4 hours on it, 25P Yamaha prop, 1/2 tank gas, full tournament load (full livewell too), 2 power pole blades, 500lbs of angler, 12 inch hydraulic plate mounted at the top hole (plate sites lowest it can not highest). WOT, jackplate allll the way up we hit 62 headed up river but only got like 5300 RPM. We ran out of river before I could really get the trim up higher AND my water pressure sensor is bad (new one coming under warranty). My question is on the RPM. Better to keep going up with the trim or should we move the motor up a hole? Just me in it and 3/4 tank of gas I have hit 65 (ran out of lake) and it gets a liiittle lose.

Roadkill, my dealer recommended at 6 ft level on the rear deck and make sure you are as level as possible when sitting. Both my powerpole pumps are mounted to the passenger side, batteries are pretty middle. Guy I had in the boat outweighs me by 50 lbs and the boat was STILL heavy to the drivers side. I have 18 rods on the passenger side, 90% of my tackle center and other misc things (tools, spare prop, rain suites, additional tackle, towels, network hub for Birds and Garmin) on the drivers side ALL in the front. compartments. When I am by myself I am going to have to shift some stuff around!

11. Member
    Xpress has Performance Bulletins on their site. They show a 25" Turbo TXP at hole #2, Anti Vent Plate height at 5.5" above bottom, turning 5850 for 70.8.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    Only issue with going by what anybody else’s setup is. Every xpress Hull is different in that weld beads on pad and rear where transom meets hull will all be different boat to boat i got lucky with mine have had zero issues with welds causing porpoising or lose of speed. I’m sure I could do some pad work and gain a few mph but my warranty is out and my sho is flashed.
    2015 X19 200 SHO

13. Member
    A a test, I am think I am going to get a big ole concrete block (or sandbags or maybe some gold bullion!) and put it in front of center tacklebox box, to get more weight up front. Got one of them in the rod locker now, in effort to do some balancing. Will report results after test. All this testing and break in period is really saving some... fish lives
    That....and the Helix 10 backorder. No unit up front. No 360imaging....

14. Member
    No gold bullion in boat, but did find a 25 lb bag of #9 shot left over from reloading shells days. A couple other weight adders to bow way up front. Seemed to take some bounce out at WOT, but really no major change and top end speed down 1-3 mph. This is on the Mississippi so top end changes based on current and direction (61-66 mph). New test yesterday. Took out the weighty things ( concrete block and #9 shot bag) Hauled boat to local big lake and ran it hard for 40+ minutes at WOT. If that dont seat the rings, then I got a lemon! 64 @ 5600 rpms, 17 water psi, trimmed up on gauge 7/8ths. Boat is lightly loaded and the gas tank was FULL. It's not full now. Coming off pad is too exciting (alarming), as boat porpoises big time. Learning to trim down to 3/4th or more, and do it quick! The re-learning of how to drive a boat. Noticed that boat cruises best around 40-44 mph, roughly low 4000rpms. Tricky to slow down to 30-33 (low 3000 rpms) and keep boat from porpoising a bunch. Must trim down to 1/4 or so.
    Waiting.....patiently.... for the Turbo FXP 25p prop to show up.

15. Member
    20201011_090744.jpg Turbo FXP 25p MAR14725-R1-00 ordered on 10.02.20. Propeller on backorder @ Sim Yamaha in Wisconsin. Received prop today, Sunday 10.11.20.
    Last edited by roadkillIL; 10-11-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: update

16. Member

17. Member
    With the new Turbo FXP 25p prop, I have taken a couple of boat rides since install. The handling and driveability of the boat is vastly improved vs the Powertech prop that came with the boat. It just handles better. There is no torque on the steering wheel. Most of the porpoise is gone, tho with a livewell full of water and a limit of crappie that extra weight matters. Coming off plane is no longer a "white knuckle" Leaping Lena event. The boat with that Powertech prop on the Sho engine was tricky! Gained a bit over 1 mph, but still only turning around 5500 rmps at WOT. I'm sure there is more performance/speed to come when I mess with the prop to pad adjustments. Really pleasantly suprised at the dramatic improvement of how the boat handles with the FXP. My thanks to the BBCers for their opinions/observations. Another $600 shot, but worth it IMHO.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkillIL View Post
    With the new Turbo FXP 25p prop, I have taken a couple of boat rides since install. The handling and driveability of the boat is vastly improved vs the Powertech prop that came with the boat. It just handles better. There is no torque on the steering wheel. Most of the porpoise is gone, tho with a livewell full of water and a limit of crappie that extra weight matters. Coming off plane is no longer a "white knuckle" Leaping Lena event. The boat with that Powertech prop on the Sho engine was tricky! Gained a bit over 1 mph, but still only turning around 5500 rmps at WOT. I'm sure there is more performance/speed to come when I mess with the prop to pad adjustments. Really pleasantly suprised at the dramatic improvement of how the boat handles with the FXP. My thanks to the BBCers for their opinions/observations. Another $600 shot, but worth it IMHO.
    Now you understand why most of us say the powertech that came with the boat doesn't even make a good backup prop. If you had to run it back to the dock it would be fine but normally it would be in service more than that. powertech makes some good props just not the ones xpress sends with the boat. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

19. Member
    Your RPM’s need to be closer to 6000 or your SHO will make oil. 25p FXp is a bit too much on these newer hulls. The newer hulls are heavier and moving the batteries in front of the 45 gallon tank makes really slows them down. Also FXP’s run a pitch stiff. A 24p FXP performed well on my 2018 X19 200 SHO, but I sold it. Wish I wouldn’t have. Now I have 24P T2 and a 25 Bravo 1XS. T2 is slightly faster on top end but bravo is better everywhere else.

20. Member
    "Prop games" hi-jinx on backburner, just heard a duck quack. I will report on prop to pad adjustments when they occur. I wonder if I strap my buddy to the front deck and make a run on quackers??? Never mind, probably shoot off the Ultrex TM prop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast