Apalachicola Fishing Report

Was able to hit the river for a half day. Fished Wimico and Jackson River. The river is back in the banks following the flooding from Hurricane Sally and the water in most places was pretty. Caught a couple dozen total with the biggest being probably right at 3lbs. Several nice 2lb "river footballs" in the mix. Despite being a post frontal day the fish were aggressive and we caught them on a white frog, shakey head trick worm (junebug) and spinnerbait.

2. Member
    Good report....I miss fishing those lakes with my uncles.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    Good report....I miss fishing those lakes with my uncles.
    Ive fished about every body of water in Florida they have a name for and the apalachicola river is hands down my favorite place to fish. Yes, you dont catch giants but if you want absolutely beautiful untouched "Old Florida" scenery, peace and quiet, and sometimes 50 bass days that's the place. I also love how you can do anything and catch them. Flipping, moving baits, topwater, worms anything. An awesome fishery.

4. Member
    I haven't fished almost every body of water in Fl. but over the past 75 years I fished my fair share. I was born and raised in Jackson County and some of the most enjoyable fishing trips were on rivers and creeks moving slowly while fishing for bass and sunfish (bream, shellcracker, etc.). Living in Central Fl. I was fortunate to fish hundreds of small grove lakes (about 75,000 acres of land) back in the 60's thru early 90's). I have caught more 10 lb. bass in one day than many people caught in a life time. But, urban sprawl wiped it all away for developments. Back when I had some relatives up that way (they have all passed on) I would come up several times a year and we would camp and fish (mostly Talquin, Seminole, the App, Ocheesee, Jackson, Merritts Mill Pond, etc.). Those were some great days.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Ive fished about every body of water in Florida they have a name for and the apalachicola river is hands down my favorite place to fish. Yes, you dont catch giants but if you want absolutely beautiful untouched "Old Florida" scenery, peace and quiet, and sometimes 50 bass days that's the place. I also love how you can do anything and catch them. Flipping, moving baits, topwater, worms anything. An awesome fishery.

Ever fish Lake Munson south of Tally?

6. Member
    Yup, several times. Can have great days throwing a floating worm around all the cypress trees