201D with a 99 225. Prop recommendation

Mine came with a 5 blade. Anyone recommend a quick hole shot prop?
    4 blade? Texas lake... Toledo Bend.

I have a 2000 201D with a 2000 Merc 225 EFI, 10 inch Z-Lock and 25 Tempest. I used to have a '99 201S with a 250XB, 12 inch RapidJack and 25 Trophy.
    My current setup is faster out of the hole than with the XB, in fact it's so quick, I will be swapping the 25 Tempest for a 26 Tempest to break over from 69 mph to the 70 mph mark on top end.
    Hole shot with the 25 Tempest is ridiculous, and that's with 4 batteries, 3/4 tank of fuel, full tourney load and 400 lbs of fishermen.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

3. Member
    I too, am quicker out of the hole with a 25p Tempest, compared to my 25p Trophy plus. I will say my trophy prop needed some cup added, as I had blow out issues on holeshot, no matter how I adjusted my plugs. It was blow out or bogged so bad it wouldn’t come up.

Hookahawg, what is your p2p? I’m sitting at 3.25 below as of right now.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

Hookahawg, what is your p2p? I’m sitting at 3.25 below as of right now.[/QUOTE]

Honestly... don't know, have not played around with it. It ran good as is when I bought it so I didn't touch anything.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Mine came with a 5 blade. Anyone recommend a quick hole shot prop?
    4 blade? Texas lake... Toledo Bend.
    Mine is 2002 Cobra 201 DC running a '03 Merc 225 EFI ( Reeds, injectors and cowl mods) hanging off a 10" Slidemaster with holeshot plate set at 2 7/8" P to P swinging a 25" Trophy Plus large holes PVS, that has been worked by Croxton for my set up with cups on both pitch and rake. Holeshot is around 5 sec, 35mph about 8, 55 cruise speed less than 20, and tops off light load 1/2 tank high 60 to low 70s depending on water and temps. Also, I run a 25" Tempest Plus that has been heavily modded by Croxton so it is closer to a 26, with cups on both pitch and rake, but I do hit the limiter in cooler weather low to mid 70s all GPS, so I am thinking of going to a 26" with the same mods as I currently have on the 25".
    BTW, please make sure your hydraulic steering is in top shape, and your kill switch is well attached to your vest cause she is about to get a little twitching when she get up on top.
    I think somebody may have used your to pull a skier, hence the High 5 prop.

6. Member
    This link shows the set up for many owners. I am leaning towards a fury. Any idea what size? 14.5” and 25 pitch?
    http://www.bassboatcentral.com/viper.htm

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    This link shows the set up for many owners. I am leaning towards a fury. Any idea what size? 14.5” and 25 pitch?
    http://www.bassboatcentral.com/viper.htm
    Fury are know to spit ears off especially if you ding something hard while at speed. I was told that it is the material that they are made of since it is not as malleable as the material for Tempest and Trophy. I have run Tempest and Trophy Plus for many yrs even on other boats, and I am very pleased with their performance and longevity.
    Trophy is going to give you improved handling especially in mid range RPMs like when you are in rough water, and bite better on turns, while the Tempest is going to give you a couple more mile up top.
    Now, if you what to call Mark Croxton 317-398-9294, and he can make you a custom prop from 1 of his own. It is your money and your choice.

8. Member
    Thank you!!!!

9. Member
    2001 201Dc with 01 225 EFI. Had a 26 trophy plus that was a 7.5/10 and was able to get 66. With really good holeshot. Sent it off to Croxton for his magic and received it in 4 days. Good load 1/2 fuel and 300lbs two guys 71.3 gps. 3.25” P2P last week. RPM’s on dash tac showed 5900-6000. Little more than I like but the temp was cool and little humidity. No mods on the efi still all OEM. Also have a 26 tempest plus that I need to send off to Croxton. 68gps., but it has a few minor dings. Good luck.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longtail1 View Post
    2001 201Dc with 01 225 EFI. Had a 26 trophy plus that was a 7.5/10 and was able to get 66. With really good holeshot. Sent it off to Croxton for his magic and received it in 4 days. Good load 1/2 fuel and 300lbs two guys 71.3 gps. 3.25” P2P last week. RPM’s on dash tac showed 5900-6000. Little more than I like but the temp was cool and little humidity. No mods on the efi still all OEM. Also have a 26 tempest plus that I need to send off to Croxton. 68gps., but it has a few minor dings. Good luck.
    Longtail,
    What are you running as a JP?
    Are you confident on your dash tach?
    How many hours does your motor have?
    I am surprised that your rev limiter did not kick in, unless some1 had it turned off. At 3.25" P2P, what is your water pressure?, since you can bring that up at very least 1/4" to get more out of it.
    I had the factory 8" factory and went to a 10" JP Slidemaster without much performance improvement, but water pressure went up alot. Currently, I am running 2 7/8" and I will be bringing it up to 2.750" to see if anything once I get my Tempest back from Mark.
    Think I love about last series 225 EFI, they run like a beast, and I have run past same 225 Optimax with no problem.

11. Member
    Digthemup
    using the original J&B 8” jackplate. I’ve questioned the tac’s accuracy bc I can tap it while running and it will bounce around. It would be nice if I upgraded to be more accurate. No the rev limiter didn’t kick in, and it’s not turned off ( tried going on plane with the trandsome saver still hooked up and it started yelling at me lol..) I’m sure others have goofed like I have. Water pressure WOT is between 18-21. Idle it’s very low 4ish. I have never messed with raising it up because I’m happy with the numbers and I can let go of the wheel bc it’s so smooth. As far as hours on the motor is a great question. I’ve had zero problems with it and never had to take it to get service (other than adjusting forward/reverse linkage). I’ve had it since new so conservatively say 30hr a year for 19years = 570hrs. Your absolutely correct on these motors. They are beasts. They sound great and built like a tank. I’ll gladly pay a little more at the pump knowing how reliable they are.
    My friend has a 02 216 with a 17 250xs 2s with a 12” atlas. He will scare the heck out of me because it dances so much and that’s only 74mph. He also was a drag racer so I’m a little more sheepish and not that big of a thrill seeker.

12. Member
    They do get a little looser the higher you bring them once they are full trimmed out at WOT, but if you play with the trim and get lot of seat time, they are just fine up top with no issues.
    They don't need as much trim as your friend thinks once they are on pad, and if dancing too much, need to tap the rim once or twice down.
    My favorite part is making asses out of jet skiers.

BTW, your water pressure seems to be reading correct.

13. Member
    Let us know how your worked tempest plus does with that P2P when you get it back

14. Member
    Will do, but from the looks of things, it will be sometime next year.
    P2P will be the same at 2 7/8" or a tick up 2 3/4" an that is it.