Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The 7.3 power stroke was designed to be a million mile motor . I have been in the ambulance business for 25 years . The 7.3’s are the only motors we NEVER had a failure with and that’s saying a lot as we are hard on equipment lol they truly outlasted the ambulance body’s. We have had many blowed ford 6.0’s,6.4’s and a couple of new 6.7’s

2. Banned
    yeh and he said he didnt want to use a trailer,,

3. Member
    7.3 was the best diesel engine ever built , it is louder than the modern engines , but it is a durable beast ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

Check the oil pan they are prone to rotting out and leaking.

5. Member
    Do you know what the GVWR is? If over 10,000 lbs you will have to follow DOT regs even with an empty truck. With the loads you will be hauling you will be over 10,000 lbs GVW, truck may very well be overloaded without using a trailer. If you get stopped by DOT you could get shutdown.

Being that it is a 6spd I wouldn't hesitate. Their AT in that range sucked.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Being that it is a 6spd I wouldn't hesitate. Their AT in that range sucked.
    No not really. Actually the 4r100 was one of the better 4 speed AT transmissions ever built.. Do you know that they are the preferred transmission for truck pulls, even Dodge and Chevy guys are running them. What was bad was the cooling set up. They only had a 7 core transmission cooler which a lot people burnt them up pulling heavy loads. I’ve had a 33 core transmission cooler on my 7.3 since it has had 50k miles on it. I pull a 8 ton camper and a 7 ton mini-Hoe around all of the time. I have 200k on it now and not even a hick up. I know in due time it will eventually wear out as all AT,s do.

8. Member
    I had a 1999 F350 dually 6-speed with the 7.3, bought it in 2007 and paid..... 9k ironically. It had ~170k on it when I bought it, and 290k when I sold it. Never so much as a single hiccup, a great truck indeed.

The biggest problem I had from it was my friends asking me if my roller blades and Barbie Doll collection would fit, and if it was tough "coming out" to my friends and family LOL.

9. Member
    my brother has i think its 98-99 crew cab, dully he pulls his race with it ,has like 110k miles on it,it does still look great he was at a stop light the other day and a guy next to ask if you could look at it,my brother pulled in station and guy loved the truck and offered him15k cash for it,he turned it down i told him thats where two fools met,lol

Working in the service department at an ambulance dealership in early 2000. All E350's had the 7.3 and when the 6.0 first came out and were breaking down at the drop of a hat EMS bosses were pleading for the 7.3's back. They are tough as nails and you can run them hard. If the fuel injection pump octopus looking system is good you're fine.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Do you know what the GVWR is? If over 10,000 lbs you will have to follow DOT regs even with an empty truck. With the loads you will be hauling you will be over 10,000 lbs GVW, truck may very well be overloaded without using a trailer. If you get stopped by DOT you could get shutdown.
    No you don't, unless it is a registered commercial vehicle or over 26K.

Good motor....I ran 170k mostly trouble free miles on my 01 7.3. Things I ran into. Cam Position Sensor. Will leave you stranded for a cheap part and what takes 30 minutes to change out. I’d want to know if it has been changed. Fuel injection harness clip broke under the valve cover...miss diagnosed as bad injector. Cheap part from Rock Auto and ended up replacing myself. Tranny lost input seal....would leak fluid after backing the boat up an incline.
    1500 fix and was going strong when I sold the the truck.

7.3’s are doggy compared to any modern diesel...but with an easily installed chip you can get them up 80-100 horse power. Highly recommend gauges for EGT...boost, and tranny temp if you go messin with chips.

Overall very reliable...and highly desired engine. 100k mile 7.3’s go for crazy money around here.

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d...189511985.html

13. Member
    Honestly that is a killer price for that rig. The 7.3 with a stick go for a fortune around here. That said I don’t know if I’d go for it. I owned a 7.3 for about a decade and they do have some major downsides. It will be an extremely rough riding truck. Solid front axle with leaf springs. If the motor is left factory it will be extremely slow and loud compared to a modern truck. They get pretty bad mileage. While the motor itself is reliable, stuff will fall apart around the motor (water pump, electrical etc). If it was me I’d look at getting a newer gas motor one ton. Will ride way nicer and avoid some of the modern emissions on a diesel.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Wait 8000 lbs ? your not putting that on a 1 ton truck frame and driving down the road. OP saying no trailer.
    No I will use a trailer for the heavy weight stuff, the no trailer reference was just for running to pick up and drop off metal. I just mistyped
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Alot of good advice guys I will give it a look sometime today although Id really like something newer I just wanted a little info on that truck so I dont go in blind.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Honestly that is a killer price for that rig. The 7.3 with a stick go for a fortune around here. That said I don’t know if I’d go for it. I owned a 7.3 for about a decade and they do have some major downsides. It will be an extremely rough riding truck. Solid front axle with leaf springs. If the motor is left factory it will be extremely slow and loud compared to a modern truck. They get pretty bad mileage. While the motor itself is reliable, stuff will fall apart around the motor (water pump, electrical etc). If it was me I’d look at getting a newer gas motor one ton. Will ride way nicer and avoid some of the modern emissions on a diesel.
    A lot of that nickel and dime stuff was fixed after 97. The older powerstrokes has a metal tube that ran out of the water pump and it was bad for rusting And causing it to eat the water pumps up. The lift pump was also moved from atop the intake and was replaced with an electrical one on the frame. Better Cam sensors were used. I have had to replace the glow plug relay on mine twice and the EBPS once. A gas 1 ton won’t ride any better than a diesel 1 ton lol and your fuel mileage won’t be any better either.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I’m sorry but I totally disagree. I have a 2001 F-250 4x4 that I bought new. It rides great and not slow at all lol ... and I average 18-20 mpg in town and around 22 on the highway. These 7.3’s will still be going strong when all the newer diesels are in the junkyard. Just too much to go wrong with the newer diesels with all the emotions attached to them now

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    No you don't, unless it is a registered commercial vehicle or over 26K.
    If he is using it for business and GVWR or GVW is over 10,000 lbs it is a commercial vehicle. No CDL required up to 26,000.

19. Member
    I bought the last 7.3 made , it was in 2003. They made both engines that year and I made sure I got the 7.3. I pull a 32 foot 5th wheel with a bass boat behind it. Never had a problem. Don't travel much anymore but it still gets 18 around town and 23 on the road by it self. Had one recall fixed and that was the only time the engine has been touched. It still has same glow plugs that came in it. It will out live me. Wish they still made that engine, I might buy one but can't wear out this one.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Thomas View Post
    I’m sorry but I totally disagree. I have a 2001 F-250 4x4 that I bought new. It rides great and not slow at all lol ... and I average 18-20 mpg in town and around 22 on the highway. These 7.3’s will still be going strong when all the newer diesels are in the junkyard. Just too much to go wrong with the newer diesels with all the emotions attached to them now
    Rides great? Have you been out in a newer Chevy dodge or ford 3/4 ton? The solid front axle with leaf springs is brutal. Most everything is independent front suspension for a reason.

220 hp, 400 tq is awful power per displacement. It’s a slow truck compared to modern trucks. It’s a lot better if you get a quality tune installed, but definitely not a rocket ship. And I never saw 20 mpg, I got around 15 generally in mine, worse if at freeway speeds. I agree that reliability won’t be matched with modern diesels, that’s why I’d generally recommend gas engines for the newer trucks.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast