Minor shock from metal brackets on boat.

I have a 2020 Skeeter FXR and any time the batter changer, a MinnKota 460 PC is plugged in you can feel a small tingle from metal around the boat. You do need to be barefooted to feel it and I cannot get any reading of a voltage DC or AC with a Fluke meter. The front bow plate, the metal strap strap bracket on the rear of the boat. If I disconnect the charge the tingle goes away or if two people are touching the same piece of metal the tingle get less. If I turn off the breakers I still get a tingle. If I pulled the fuses from all the battery charger leads I still get the tingle.

Any idea on where the tingle could be coming from or is this normal?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    GFCI outlet?

Does it only do it at home or have you experienced it elsewhere?

You said you still feel it with the breakers off. Boat breakers or AC? What happens if you unplug the charger?

Measure AC voltage from the metal on the boat to a short stake driven into the nearest soil.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    GFCI outlet?

Does it only do it at home or have you experienced it elsewhere?

You said you still feel it with the breakers off. Boat breakers or AC? What happens if you unplug the charger?

Measure AC voltage from the metal on the boat to a short stake driven into the nearest soil.
    No GFCI outlet.
    Have not tried it another location
    Boat breakers off charger still on.
    It goes away if I unplug the charger.
    I get 60.53 volts A/C to earth ground when it touch the front depth finder mounts, rear counsel mounts, and the front and rear alum decks.

Thanks for the help.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassen23 View Post
    No GFCI outlet.
    Have not tried it another location
    Boat breakers off charger still on.
    It goes away if I unplug the charger.
    I get 60.53 volts A/C to earth ground when it touch the front depth finder mounts, rear counsel mounts, and the front and rear alum decks.

Thanks for the help.
    You seem to have a ground issue. Is this in an outbuilding, attached garage or what? Have you measured from neutral to ground on the extension cord you use for the charger? Should be very close to 0. Measure neutral to hot and ground to hot to make sure nothing is open.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You seem to have a ground issue. Is this in an outbuilding, attached garage or what? Have you measured from neutral to ground on the extension cord you use for the charger? Should be very close to 0. Measure neutral to hot and ground to hot to make sure nothing is open.
    Switch extension cords and bingo! The issue when away. Tests the original extension cord which was a cord reel and it has the same 60 volts on the reel case. Must be a issue inside and after 20 years it time for a new one.

Thanks for everything and stay safe.