Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livescope research

Came to this board for livescope education, seems to be some stated or cryptic comments about current issues With livescope including perspective software gremlins, ghost trees, customer service issues, etc . Can someone please summarize the current issues? Just trying to learn before I commit to a $2500 system that I may regret

2. Member
    I took the plunge a year ago, switched from Lawrance for the livescope, use it for ice fishing in winter and walleye fishing in summer, bottom line ,,,,love it.

3. Member
    In same boat looking forward to input from users.

4. Member
    Sore spot for some members, so reluctance to dredge it all up again.

Garmin introduced Perspective View with new software, and in some (many?) cases, it reduced the quality of the original Livescope view.

Garmin's response has been questionable.

There...you're up to speed. Mostly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
    Can someone please summarize the current issues? Just trying to learn before I commit to a $2500 system that I may regret
    A few users are complaining about a dead spot and a ghost tree that takes up less than 10% of the screen and has no adverse effect on fishing. It's fantastic, even in its current state. Would buy again, and may even upgrade my graph now that I understand how to use it and how fantastic it is.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Sore spot for some members, so reluctance to dredge it all up again.

Garmin introduced Perspective View with new software, and in some (many?) cases, it reduced the quality of the original Livescope view.

Garmin's response has been questionable.

There...you're up to speed. Mostly.

Great answer. I would have botched this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member

I never did an update since day one, my unit will get a ghost tree randomly, it is bottom and setting dependent. I wish I could get is some other people's boat to see it like they do. There are many ways to use it and if you want to watch your lure get eaten every time you catch a fish you will be disappointed also if you think it is an amazing picture all the time you will be disappointed. If you have goals and reasonable expectations it is a terrific tool to use
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    A few users are complaining about a dead spot and a ghost tree that takes up less than 10% of the screen and has no adverse effect on fishing. It's fantastic, even in its current state. Would buy again, and may even upgrade my graph now that I understand how to use it and how fantastic it is.
    I don't know how you can say the dead spot doesn't affect fishing and it is more than a few users. My unit was superb pre update. Now, sometimes it is usable and others not at all. I had the ghost tree pre update and could always clear it up. After the update, I have a solid line coming from the top of the screen, a small dead spot compared to some and the picture will go from fairly good to so pixelated/grainy that you cant tell anything about what you are seeing. Hopefully with the replacement transducer garmin is sending me, mine will be usable again. If not they will be swapping the gls10 next. I can tell you this, if I get my hands on a pre perspective unit, it will never get updated.

11. Member
    Installed my 93SV UHD and LS setup in May. Came with the dreaded v2.30 update which I updated to v2.41 prior to my first use.
    This is my experience thus far (have fished a minimum of 30-40 days since install).
    - LS has helped me catch more fish and learn more about their behavior than any one electronic I have used.
    - Most all anomalies (ghost tree, clutter, etc) on the screen can be adjusted out with minor settings adjustments. After I got my unit dialed in, I barely touch anything except depth, distance, and gain (all on the 93SV LS screen with latest update).
    - There is a small dead spot on my screen that does not interfere much with my fishing. If I see something swim into the dead spot and run my bait through it, there is a fish very close. However, vertical fishing that puts you in this very spot could get frustrating. The deeper the water, the further away from the transducer this dead spot is. This in my opinion is the only current downfall with MY setup.
    - My setup added an extra step to my setup. I now have to deploy an independent pole for the LS. I fish Spot Locked greater than 75% of the time and I can’t imaging trying to use it on the TM

This is my experience with my 5 month old system. I know others are having issues and I hate that for them, but Garmin seems to be working with these folks. I believe the vast majority of people have few issues and the ones they do have are far outweighed by the benefit the LS system provides. I would not trade mine for anything.

12. Member
    My dead spot is about 25% of my screen when I'm using it in a 40' range. Anyone who has it can agree that it is a major problem Garmin agrees with me in that it cannot be adjusted out. It's extremely frustrating.
    That being said I cannot imagine fishing without one.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddement View Post
    I don't know how you can say the dead spot doesn't affect fishing and it is more than a few users. My unit was superb pre update. Now, sometimes it is usable and others not at all. I had the ghost tree pre update and could always clear it up. After the update, I have a solid line coming from the top of the screen, a small dead spot compared to some and the picture will go from fairly good to so pixelated/grainy that you cant tell anything about what you are seeing. Hopefully with the replacement transducer garmin is sending me, mine will be usable again. If not they will be swapping the gls10 next. I can tell you this, if I get my hands on a pre perspective unit, it will never get updated.
    I can say it because it's true. It's very small, and tends to be on the bottom. We all know exactly where it is, as it's at or near the base of the semi circular artifact some call a ghost tree. This issue really generates way more words than it deserves. Has zero effect on my fishing.

14. Member
    From what I have learned from using it . It's great for right under the boat seeing the fish actually swimming around and grapping your bait . But you need to understand how to use the settings is a must . can not just go out turn on and expect to do all the neat things you expect must learn settings and then it's golden

15. Member
    I can say it because it's true. It's very small, and tends to be on the bottom. We all know exactly where it is, as it's at or near the base of the semi circular artifact some call a ghost tree. This issue really generates way more words than it deserves. Has zero effect on my fishing.
    What is true for you is not true for me or many others. It is a huge issue for me and the way I fish. I'm glad that it doesn't affect you but please don't take your situation and "assume" that it is true for everyone else. 20 to 25% (7' to 10') wide dead zone arching across the middle of my screen set to 40' forward view in 25 fow from top to bottom is what I'm experiencing. How deep of water are you fishing and is it a hard or soft bottom, it matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    What is true for you is not true for me or many others. It is a huge issue for me and the way I fish. I'm glad that it doesn't affect you but please don't take your situation and "assume" that it is true for everyone else. 20 to 25% (7' to 10') wide dead zone arching across the middle of my screen set to 40' forward view in 25 fow from top to bottom is what I'm experiencing. How deep of water are you fishing and is it a hard or soft bottom, it matters!
    Yes. In the beginning people were content seeing all the artifacts and bs, now they want that filtered out. That means dead spot. Turn off noise rejection and look through it like we used to on 2d sonar.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I've read your posts and watched your videos. I honestly don't understand how you can say these issues have any effect on your fishing.

18. Member
    I've read your posts and watched your videos. I honestly don't understand how you can say these issues have any effect on your fishing.
    I can. Attached is a pic of an artifact. I don't know why no one has ever mentioned it. I can replicate it with 100% reliability in specific terrain. It has been on every LVS32 transducer and GLS10 box I have used and every software version from a year before LVS was introduced until now. I am mentioning now because someone is sure to notice it for the first time and post that it is from the Perspective release. It is not. Because of how and where I am fishing for bass and walleye this one artifact is a problem for my fishing. It is not always at this exact range or this size. That too depends on the terrain. But when I am looking for fish holding close to the bottom, often it doesn't look like this but looks like fish.

The point is that you might not understand unless you are fishing the same terrain as someone else and fishing the same way they do. What might not present a problem for some might be a huge problem for others. For me the dead spot is not a problem. This artifact is 10 times the problem of the dead spot for my fishing close to the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

19. Member
    I wish you could spend 15 minutes on the boat with me and I could show you. I crappie fish. The fish are holding on brush in 20 to 30 fow. Water is clear and the crappie for the most part are spooky, get the boat closer than 20 feet of the brush and watch the crappie swim down and then away from brush. In 20 to 30 fow is where most of my brush is located. In forward view with a range set at 40' my dead void area is anywhere from 5 to 10 feet wide arching across my screen from.top to bottom, the brush and the fish disappear. If I take filters off more than factory defaults I get the ghost tree and the brush and fish still.don't show up much less my small crappie jig.
    Ok, so you say try to fish out beyond 30+ feet out. Try casting a small 1/16 oz. jig out 40 or more feet, let it sink 12 to 15 feet and try to swim it right over the crappie. Not so easy to do.
    I guess I wouldn't realize how bad it is now if I didn't use it for over a year on the same lake and brush and never had ANY of these issues that showed up as soon as the Perspective View software was introduced.
    You can tell me all you want that it is not a problem., maybe for you it's not, but don't try to tell me what is and what is not a problem for me.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I can. Attached is a pic of an artifact. I don't know why no one has ever mentioned it. I can replicate it with 100% reliability in specific terrain. It has been on every LVS32 transducer and GLS10 box I have used and every software version from a year before LVS was introduced until now. I am mentioning now because someone is sure to notice it for the first time and post that it is from the Perspective release. It is not. Because of how and where I am fishing for bass and walleye this one artifact is a problem for my fishing. It is not always at this exact range or this size. That too depends on the terrain. But when I am looking for fish holding close to the bottom, often it doesn't look like this but looks like fish.

The point is that you might not understand unless you are fishing the same terrain as someone else and fishing the same way they do. What might not present a problem for some might be a huge problem for others. For me the dead spot is not a problem. This artifact is.
    Your exactly correct, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast