In the market for new waders, step in.......

I need a new pair of waders. I really want a set of breathable waders with removeable liners and decent insulation in boots. Also, here is an issue. I am 5'8 240# and prefer a stout wader but HATE to get swallowed up on chest area.

So, recommendations from first hand experience. GO................................................
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

2. Member
    Anyone? I am fixin to pull trigger on some breathables..................................

3. Member
    I've tried most out there. They pretty much all suck and I couldn't offer a recommendation. I'm almost to the point of just buying the cheapest you can find and throwing them out when they start to leak.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I've tried most out there. They pretty much all suck and I couldn't offer a recommendation. I'm almost to the point of just buying the cheapest you can find and throwing them out when they start to leak.
    Sounds like the old 2-ply Redball days! I did have a pair of canvas Prolines that lasted me several years. Finally wore a hole in crotch area from rubbing.

5. Member
    2 things we waterfowlers get screwed by...waders and nice gloves. Luckily crabbers gloves cover that. But waders...that's a different story! I've got enough to get through this season, then i'm done repairing them. Tossing them all away. I'm lucky to get one full season out of a pair of breathables. Next i'm either going with the Sitkas (but can't comfirm they're any better) or just buying the cheapest ones out there and tossing them when they start to leak.

I kinda get sore every time I talk about waders!! It's a touchy subject for me.

6. Member
    My Son bought a pair of crabber's gloves couple years ago for driving the boat and loves them. I was looking at a pair of LaCross swamp tuff on ebay. Seems like they have good ratings.

7. Member
    LaCrosse are generally decent. I have some Aero Elites. They have great boots. I got them last December. First time I used them in Arkansas, I got soaked! They leaked through the seams at the chest pockets. I sent them to Lacrosse a 2 weeks later when I got home and got a new set. Tried them this year...leaked in the same gotdam spot. I guess they're only waterproof to the chest pocket. Unbelievable!! $500 waders leak out of the box above the waist...like they were made to.

8. Member
    I definitely like the LaCrosse's, now they I used a ton of Aquaseal around all the pocket seams!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I definitely like the LaCrosse's, now they I used a ton of Aquaseal around all the pocket seams!
    Yup. Aquaseal is definitely your friend

10. Member
    I have tried a couple different ones and my favorite is just the Roger's brand. They are decent, cheap and like others have said you can extend them 1 more season with aquaseal. Then toss and buy a new pair....

11. T Dub
    Bought a set of Roger’s breathable for this season - previously used a set of Cabelas Brush busters for almost 10 years before they started leaking

12. Member
    lacrosse used to be the best but now they get there rubber from china. thats what i was told last time i had issues with them. by the way they did send me new boots.
    2015 189 trx

13. BBC SPONSOR
    New Frogg Toggs are decent as are the new drakes. We got way less returns on Banded last year than the year before. We stock quit a few waders so if we can help you out let me know! We would love to earn your business!

14. Member
    I just got a pair of the Frogg Toggs Steelheaders. The attached boots are 1200 G thinsulate and they have a zip in liner. With the liner in a light jacket inside it is comfortable. I'm 5'8" 210#. They look to be well made don't know how they will preform for cold water steelhead fishing I bought them for. I have in the past found the TV Flex Seal liquid in the half pint can w a smaller foam brush does a great and cheap repair on wader seams. I hope these won't need any for 2 years.

15. Member
    My Son is going to bring me a couple pair of his buddy's waders home and let me try them on. That way I can see if I like breathables or not.

16. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Guys, I've tried several waders. I'm 5'6 and have to wear a stout.

I've tried the Lacrosse Aerotuff waders, Cabelas SuperMag, Rogers Elite 3-in-1, and my newest pair the Drake Guardian Elite 6 Layer 4-In-1 Wader.

• Lacrosse Aerotuff - now discontinued - so no discussion (except they really sucked)

• Cabelas SuperMag 5mm neoprene (overall my favorite and I keep putting them back on). You do hold sweat in neoprene that you wont have as much in breathables.

• Rogers Elite breathable (boots are one size bigger, I hate these Mofos and ripped out that clear plastic phone bag because it doesn't let your sweat evaporate from your body, the zip out lining is a great idea and works well - that I liked)

• Drake Guardian Elite 4 in 1 (a very well made wader. Boots are tight around ankles but true to size. Two things I don't like, the liner is velcro and my jacket catches or hangs on the velcro and edge of the liner and rips it loose inside the wader when I'm pulling them up. Also, the boots are heavy. so, if you have a long way to walk, I hope you're in good shape)

The breathables are nice and they are light, but if you're in very deep water up to below your nips, like hunting in flooded timber, the pressure of the water is going to flatten the breathables (thin material) to your legs with no air gap (which is how your layers hold heat). Even with insulation in the legs, it really sucks the heat away. The 5mm neoprene is better and warmer in this regard.

Winner: Cabelas SuperMag for not trying to be everything to everybody.
    Last edited by F150owner; 10-20-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: more info

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

17. Member
    F150owner, that is a good write up. Thanks.

My Son is going to bring me a couple pair of his buddy's waders home and let me try them on. That way I can see if I like breathables or not.

18. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    F150owner, that is a good write up. Thanks.

You will like them. Its like wearing pajamas compared to neoprene. I just haven't found a set of breathables with sizing that works for my shortness and did everything I want.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

19. Member
    I have had good luck with the Frog Toggs. Last pair lasted three years. I duck hunt a LOT.

20. T Dub
    I’m intrigued by the highndry brand - I’ll try them next if these Rogers don’t work out