2004 225 DI stalls, tach then shoots up

E225FPXSRB
    Engine stalls out at idle or when running higher RPMS. Just cuts out, and the tach then goes all the way to 7,000 and back to 0. Engine starts right back up afterward. I’ve swapped EMM’s, PDP, solenoid to isolate issue and issue stayed on engine (did not follow to other engine with any swap which I did one at a time). When I turn the ignition on the main power relay which is located directly port side of EMM makes a intermittent buzzing sound which sounds very similar to the fuel pump sound. Sometimes it buzzes continuously other times intermittent. I changed relay and still occurred. What would make that relay buzz and could it be relayed to the stall? Stall seems electrical because the engine cuts out swiftly and tach does its dance.
    Formerly Gottwins (member since 2006)

Battery terminals have wing nuts on them? Sound like an intermittent open. Something is loose somewhere.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Battery terminals are nylons and were taken apart and cleaned/wire wheeled 2 weeks ago. Problem developed a few weeks before that and continued after the battery maintenance. Maybe the battery switch?

4. Member
    FYI I also switched the ignitions to isolate issue but it stayed with the engine still. Didn’t jump to other motor.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Going from bad to worse huh? Have you tested the stator?

6. Member
    I haven’t. I’ll read the manual now and see how to do that.

7. Member
    Ok Champ seems easy enough to do. I’ll try to get that done this evening. Thanks

8. Member
    I disconnected the 8 and 12 prong connections from EMM and tried to check but I couldn’t get a reading on the meter from anything. Directions are pretty simple in book about which pins to check together but ohm meter didn’t read correctly. I’ll get somebody who knows what they are doing with electricity that’s my weakness. Probably easier for me to swap stators lol.

9. Member
    Just an update. I had a spare engine I blew on rod on 2 years ago so I swapped the TPS, capacitor and stator. Ran engine for an hour with no issues. Since it was an intermittent issue (that would happen every time out) I’ll have to see how it goes.