New PB largemouth!

Was on Winni yesterday doing some final scouting, as I'm coaching a high school bass fishing team again this year, and they made the cut to their State Championship this Saturday. Had limited time, and I spent most of it looking for some new smallie spots in the tournament boundary area (they don't get the whole lake).

Decided to spend the last 45 minutes I had fishing shallow for some largemouth, and I ended up with my new personal best by quite a margin. Previous PB was 6.25 lbs in 2009. New PB went 7 lbs 5 oz (weighed twice for good measure), and was exactly 22" long. I can't quickly explain exactly what this fish means to me. I've been chasing this fish so hard the last few years. Obsessing over getting a new PB, to the point it was stressing me out. I was just talking about it last weekend with my buddy, I was losing focus on just enjoying fishing because I was so damn focused on trying to catch a giant. Soon as I finally let go of it and relax, I catch this fish on my next trip out. Unreal how things work out like that at times.

Blurred the background for now because this wasn't the only fish I caught in this area, and I'm hoping it pays off for the kids in their tournament this weekend. So if you still recognize it, please just keep it to yourself until after the weekend. After that, I don't care who knows, lol.

PB-Blurred-cropped.jpg

2. Member
    Awesome fish.

Congratulations great catch
    Good luck this weekend.!!
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Nice fish,good job.
    Red Sox in 6!

Looks like Lees Mills ?

6. Member
    Stud!
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

Congrats! I drove right over that spot on Sunday, guy was fishing it in a Vexus. I said hi and told him there were lots of snags down there and to be careful!

8. Member
    Nice job!
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

9. Member
    WTG - beautiful fish!

10. Moderator
    Nice largie.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone. Not Lees Mills, out by the Long Island bridge.

12. Member
    How'd your kids do. We had a tourney there yesterday as well, but didnt see many boats out.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    How'd your kids do. We had a tourney there yesterday as well, but didnt see many boats out.
    Very good actually, all things considered. They finished 8th in the State Championship round, after taking the last spot in the qualifying tournament to make it there. I'm really proud of them. They basically didn't know anything about bass fishing before the season officially started, 3 weeks before the qualifying tournament. I did what I could with the time we had to work on the very basics/fundamentals: knot tying, basic gear/techniques, setting up their reels correctly, how to properly set the hook, etc etc. To take them from that point and seeing them just make it to the state championship was amazing. I love doing this, can't wait to do it again next year. One of my students is a senior so she won't be back next year, but the other is a freshman and has a lot of potential, so hopefully he's still interested next year and I can continue to work with him.

Congrats Sean
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

15. Member
    Congrats , nice catch.

16. Member

congrats. I remember when someone didn't know what a spinnerbait was !