Talon length question (Florida)

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2005 Triton Tr20x and do not have any experience with what length Talons I should be looking at. I live in Florida and I have not had the boat in the water yet. I am looking to fish Lake Okeechobee, Lake Ida and Everglades. Just looking to see what the "norm" would be on sizing for those Lakes. Don't want to get oversized and not need but then again don't want to get shorter than needed. Storing height is not a problem as I have plenty of space on my overhead doors for storage. Or would anyone recommend the Power Poles or new Raptors instead?? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Triton TR20X; 09-30-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Scott Martin uses 10' power poles and I heard him make a comment somewhere about with 10'ers he is good in Florida, and he would probably have 8's if he lived elsewhere. I know pp doesn't make 12's or 15's but I would just do 10's. How deep do you fish in Florida?

i have 10' powerpoles and they world great also power pole has the best customer service I have ever seen , a few times I have broke something by my own mistakes they send out parts and don't ask questions. The best!

minnkota is a good company and I use their products but no way and I going to put raptors on when they are a knock off of the powerpole, who has the best customer service ever.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    "Fishysam" Thank you for the information. Quite honestly I haven't even taken the boat out yet so I can't comment on how deep I'll be fishing. I have seen and read up on both and I have noticed that PP customer service seems to be far superior to MK. I just didn't want to make a mistake and not be able to anchor when I needed it most. But I was leaning towards the PP. Thanks again
    Last edited by Triton TR20X; 09-30-2020 at 02:49 PM.

4. Member
    I live in Parrish FL and ran a 10 ft talon on the back on my Ranger 519. Fished mostly at Okeechobee but also fished a good amount at Harris and Toho. I did a lot of saltwater fishing with it too. My rule is always go longer with the Talons. The overall height and weight difference is negligible compared to getting another 2 ft of anchoring depth. It was nice at a tourney on St Johns River a few years ago during the national anthem I could touch bottom when none of the 8 ft PP guys around me could. The 10 ft talons are the same stowed height as the 8 ft PP.

I had to get the tilt brackets to get under my garage door and if I went with the 8 ft I would not have had that issue.

Power Pole customer service is the best in the industry. That being said I never had an issue with my Talon so I never needed to call their customer service. Ive seen a ton of guys have issues with loosing hydraulic pressure and the poles dropped either running in rough water or on a rough stretch of highway. And its nice not to have to deal with making room for pump installs.

I personally think the Talons have quieter deployment as the motor is not in the hull. The noise and vibration from the PP pumps could def travel from the hull into the water. Fishing shallow Florida water I am always conscience about the sound I am putting into the water.

Hope all that helps. Either way you go, it wont be a bad choice.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

5. Member
    “Kgfishing” thanks I really appreciate the info.. just making sure I won’t have any issues putting either because of weight on the back of my 05’ Triton ? Thanks

6. Member
    I am selling two 8ft blue talons and side jackplate mounts if you are interested. I'm in Ocala FL.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    Thanks "BassCatBrad" .. I really wanted black but thank you for letting me know.