TJNYSNP

The painful morning & end of day Lowrance Knob Attaches and Removals

I'm surprised that Lowrance or one of the other fishing electronic companies hasn't come up with a cleaner way to connect and disconnect the electronic units on the brackets.

Putting them on is a pain in the butt because you need to hold the unit with hand to ensure doesn't drop/fall due to weight while screwing in the knobs

But the end of day removal really suchs.... I end up often having to get pliers to get the knob looseness started and then I always "try" to make the knob "just about fall out but still be engaged" so that i can pull the unit through that diagonal opening on the bracket. 1 out of 2 times the knob rolls onto the boat bottom while doing it, 2 out of 3 times the thing jams trying to get it out.

Is there a better way to remove the units than i am ? are the new locking knobs any better ?

Just seems like a problem desperately looking for a better bracket and knob design

How are you all making out with this scenario ?

I leave the gimbal bracket on mine and undo the RAM mount it's on.
    As far as the cords go they've never presented an issue for me.
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

3. Member
    The locking knobs are a bit more difficult to take the unit off when you have to. Need a screw driver and a stack of washers and not the most friendly thing. Garmin has a good way with the quick attach brackets on the echomap series.

The Garmin echomap is super easy to take off. The Lowrance units come off with the bracket still attached using the ram mounts.

I have a Bird and a Lowrance, next time I upgrade I am going to take into consideration how they mount. No company is going to change their ways, until their sales decline, then they will blame it on anything but their design, customer satisfaction, or dependable. That is the way it has been for years.

6. Member
    Many mount systems allow for leaving the unit in the bracket, and offer great adjustability. You are making it harder than it needs to be.

7. Member
    Simply stop thinking you need to remove them each time your finished with fishing. Mine haven’t been removed since I mounted them besides to clean my boat. I also park it in a very secure place. Maybe that isn’t a option for you. Personally, I have my rig set up so that fishing is a relaxing thing to do. All things that are aggravating to deal with have been addressed

Garmin Ultras are super simple. Cables plug into the mount, display plugs in to the mount. Remove the display with no knobs or undoing connections.

It sucks. Especially on cold mornings where you need to plug all the cords in. I just stopped taking mine off. The only one I remove now is the Ram mount one and me Garmin because they have the slickest easiest quick connect system.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

The cords are a pain, and I wonder when at some point, the pins will give out.

Now dating my self, Humminbird had a great bayonet mount on the 101 unit. Basically dropped the unit on, all wires connected. Early 90s......

The Humminbird quick release mount on the Matrix/500/700 series was da bomb.

the Garmin cradles are super easy...so easy a big wave can take em right off!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I don't take mine off unless for extended periods like hard water and no fishing...lol otherwise there on there with the covers for travelling .I also used security bolts with big washers instead of the knobs for sake of the locks they sell. Works for me
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

14. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    The cords are a pain, and I wonder when at some point, the pins will give out.

Now dating my self, Humminbird had a great bayonet mount on the 101 unit. Basically dropped the unit on, all wires connected. Early 90s......
    This helps me, may help someone else.... with a sharpy, behind the rotating color of the cord mark a line where the unit must line up on the top when you press in... saves you in morning in dark from trying to push the dang thing in all rotations :)

15. Member
    Garmin mount is awesome for easy removal. No wires to remove, simply click it out of the bracket in leases than 5 seconds

16. Member
    I put a new Johnny Ray mount under my Hummingbird 900 series fish finder at the dash just from the fear of loosing mounting knobs over the side. The fish finder bracket stays attached to the unit, one simple post slips into a base that you mount on the boat and hook up the wires and your done. The mount only raises the unit about 2-3 inches and provides a swivel as well, and they won't break the bank to buy one.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend