Thread: Garmin mapping

Garmin mapping

Is it possible to buy and download individual lakes ?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With the AC app i THINK you can download certain areas....so instead of the whole western side of the US, you could do just CA.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Why are some of the Garmin maps still have only 10 ft contours on a good part of the lake, and parts of the lake on 1 foot contour? Especially when they advertise that a particular lake has 1 foot contours. Case in point Toledo Bend. My friend and I were fishing Toledo Bend this week in his boat. He has a new Garmin system with the latest mapping and that was one of his complaints. He showed me so I know its not him doing something wrong. I checked my map of Toledo Bend on my Echomap Ultra and it does not have them either. Toledo Bend is also one of the lakes that they said they scanned and developed the 3D mapping for. Maybe they just used old data.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You are correct on Toledo Bend....even the Navionic mapping card is the same way, north of Pendelton bridge has not much of anything and then south of that has some 1' contours......never understood especially since its a major lake. I dont have an answer

5. Member
    Thanks. They should not advertise it as having it or put an asterisk saying their mapping only has part of the 1 foot contours mapped. My friend said that he had the navionics on his previous Lowrance units and he said they did not have it mapped as well and in the same areas. I guess Garmin just used the navionics maps and really did not scan Toledo Bend like they advertised. Pretty deceptive practice if that is what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    You are correct on Toledo Bend....even the Navionic mapping card is the same way, north of Pendelton bridge has not much of anything and then south of that has some 1' contours......never understood especially since its a major lake. I dont have an answer

Navionics is like that because flooding occurred when they were there doing the survey. It's not only North of the bridge, some non-resurvey areas South also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You say flooding and ive heard cause of the timer areas where they cant get to....

Who said it was cause of flooding?

Besides why didnt they come.back to continue the survey?

You say flooding and ive heard cause of the timer areas where they cant get to....

Who said it was cause of flooding?

Besides why didnt they come.back to continue the survey?
    I watched the progress of the survey as it was being done, just like I did when they did Kentucky Lake by checking the Chart Viewer occasionally as they did the updates. Don't remember the year of the flooding, but they had started just before that happened.
    BTW, someone sent me a message that they were there doing that survey.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Thanks. They should not advertise it as having it or put an asterisk saying their mapping only has part of the 1 foot contours mapped. My friend said that he had the navionics on his previous Lowrance units and he said they did not have it mapped as well and in the same areas. I guess Garmin just used the navionics maps and really did not scan Toledo Bend like they advertised. Pretty deceptive practice if that is what they did.
    Several years ago, Garmin did survey much of the lake south of Pendelton Bridge from the shoreline out to approximately 50 feet in depth. The thick standing timber prevented them from surveying the rest of the reservoir.

Garmin is adding all applicable Navionics data, as well as 1-foot contour QuickDraw mapping for most all the major embayments that weren't previously mapped before (Patroon, San Patricio, San Miguel, La Nana). This was originally scheduled to happen for a September mapping update. I need to verify with Cartography that all this data is now included in the public release.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 10-04-2020 at 06:47 AM.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Todd I am glad to hear they are going to provide updates. My point is they should indicate that there were areas that were not mapped to the 1 foot level. The other issue is that we found several areas that the boat lanes went across dry land. Obviously we knew that was not right. It looks like they just connected the dots from way points with no regard that the boat lane went across dry land. What that did was make you question the accuracy. Toledo Bend they have a pretty good bouy system marking the lanes. On Rayburn they dont.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 10-03-2020 at 10:29 PM.

I just received my 2021.0 version Ultra mapping cards and did verify that all the additional Toledo Bend data I discussed above has been included in this release. Garmin is also continuing to survey other areas at Toledo Bend where Garmin and Navionics mapping is still lacking.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Todd, if they are using the Quick Draw contours from users, how do they determine its accurate??

Todd, if they are using the Quick Draw contours from users, how do they determine its accurate??
    It's not from customers, it's from a retired angler that's spent over 40 years fishing at Toledo Bend. He's contracted by Garmin to survey under their protocol, and the derived cartography undergoes a high level of quality control before incorporation into the public product.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok...gotcha.....

The QD data is also derived from a PS30. I failed to mention that above.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    So I bought my system and map card this past June. Do I have to buy the 2021.0 update?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclesam321 View Post
    Is it possible to buy and download individual lakes ?
    You're local to me. I advise you to think carefully about the Garmin mapping. I can vouch for Perris, Hodges, Skinner and Henshaw. Those maps are a mess unfortunately. Especially Hodges. This is based on 2019 G3 maps. Due to Covid, I haven’t fished outside my gates ( Covid shutdowns and fishing’s too damn good at home)) to see if they fixed anything on the 2020 G3. It seemed to be something with them merging Garmin/Navionics maps together. My Navionics on those lakes with my Lowrance were pretty good. . I can say that Garmins Isabella is pretty good. I believe that was a Garmin mapped lake although Perris is too and there’s some f’d up chit on that one. The whole North side is especially bad and it doesn’t even show the tire reef though the old quarry hole east of the island is dead nuts on the contours. Go figure. A PS30 and QD is a pretty damn good alternative for our local lakes though if you have that option and only run Garmin.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    So I bought my system and map card this past June. Do I have to buy the 2021.0 update?
    Under the New Chart Guarantee, you are entitled to one free mapping update within 12 months of purchase.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/cartogr...rine/programs/
    Garmin Pro Team