Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big screen kits for 84XX/86XX series

Hi guys

we have been working on a few large add on screens for the garmin 84xx and 86xx range of MFDs
    Basically we had some clients with bass boats and flybridge boats that were going out and finding that a second big mfd wasn't in their budget.. or that a smaller screen wasn't suiting their eyes as they got older

for ages we have been running displays off mfs "mostly to TVs in large saloons or sport fishing yachts for... fun basically"
    but we wanted to bring a touch screen element to the party.

So we wanted a touch screen monitor that would meet or exceed garmins specifications to be used in 2nd helm/fishing locations

we came out with a 17.25" a 18.5" and a 24"

We understand that these are big and not for everyone. but its just an option

large screen kit moose marine.gif

So some numbers

The screens are Full HD 1920x1080 resolution
    IPS in plane switching for viewing angles and polarised sunglasses
    1500nitts brightness for view-ability in sunlight (exceeding garmins 1200)
    10 point multi touch (not that it matters much for garmins operating system , which is a maximum of 2 point touch)
    1000:1 contrast ratio
    IP67 weather proof with waterproof milspec plugs for HDMI,USB,DC,VGA

We oped to use a VESA mounting pattern.. instead of a bracket... we felt this gave most amount of options for mounting footprint and allowed for most amount of angles
    The screens are only 48mm deep with a heavy metal body for heat distribution
    Membrane touch buttons on the back of the units for settings

We are always looking for feedback and suggestions :)

Thanks!
    Moose

2. Member
    How long can the cable be from the screen to the unit? Is this being developed as a product or a service provided? How much will it cost?

3. Member
    Yes, please tell us more!

4. Member
    And make them for the ECHOMAP Plus 73 series.

5. Member
    Don't leave us hanging, we need more information including $$$.

6. Member
    You might need to know about power draw too. I looked at doing this. There are 12v-dc monitors available. Right now my 100amp Battle Born LiFePO4 won't run all my stuff all day. Of course, I don't need everything on all the time so it's not really an issue. A big 12-dc monitor though. Might be a horse of a different color.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I would think glare is the biggest problem.

And better get a Sponsor banner next to your name or post could be deleted.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You might need to know about power draw too. I looked at doing this. There are 12v-dc monitors available. Right now my 100amp Battle Born LiFePO4 won't run all my stuff all day. Of course, I don't need everything on all the time so it's not really an issue. A big 12-dc monitor though. Might be a horse of a different color.
    Very true
    Our 24" system draws 4.1amp at max brightness on 12vDC. the 16" 8416xsv draws 4.2amps average

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    I would think glare is the biggest problem.

And better get a Sponsor banner next to your name or post could be deleted.
    Thanks for the heads up. ill approach the site for banner info.

We wanted the screen to match or improve on garmins specs for viewability.. we also work along side Australian accessory maker "Berley Pro" in offering screen covers/shields for our 17.3/18.5" screens.
    They are an IPS high contracts, High brightness level screen for the best outside viewability :)

10. Member
    Are these kits for sale?

11. Member
    pm sent

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    pm sent
    Please send me.........

13. Member
    pm sent

14. Member
    Please send me pricing info. Thanks.

15. Member
    G’day Chocolatemoose, I’d love a PM too please

16. Member
    howdy all. ive shot through some PM's
    feel free to email me
    anthony.cooke2015@gmail.com

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I confused by this? I have another brand lithium cranking battery suggested to me and it runs 4 units and livewells easily in a 12 hour day. The only reason I put console units on standby is for interference with the bow unit. I've never had an issue cranking the motor. The reason I bought one, on recommendation from my place, is because he took the same battery on a trip this past summer and ran a Solix 12 and Helix 12 for 5, 14 hour days without charging. He brought it home and still had charge enough to crank the engine when he put it back in his boat. He's run it several 10 hour days, when he was evaluating it, with six units on and livewell on auto. Never an issue.

I know that brand has a good reputation and I would think it could run anything you have for a couple of days?

18. Member
    You may be confused. I'm no expert on lithium batteries but I take it that the math will prove out on most of them. That is if you compare the draw to the capacity you can fairly accurately estimate the amount of time they will hold up. My max draw with everything on is close to 25 amps, typical is 10-12 amps. The hog is the 8616 at 4.2 amps. Figure a 12 or 14 hour day on that. The 4.2 is the max rating and when I checked it with an ammeter it was more like 3.3. Depends on what you have hooked to it.

My normal fishing trip is 4-5 hrs. Could be morning, midday or evening. The charger records each charge session and how much charge was needed to bring it back to full. Typical fishing use requires 40-60 amps of recharging. So that would be two of my trips, maybe one of yours.

Solix 12 is rated 2.88 amps. Helix 12 1.75 amps. That's 4.63 amps. Of course that's max so actual use might be 60% or 2.8 amps. Five 14 hour days. That's 194 amps. Then six units on for several 10 hour days. I have to wonder how big and how many fish he said he caught.

A lot of people are very happy with their lithium batteries. I have no basis to say one is better or worse than another. On mine, I did the math, made the purchase and the math holds up. I'm satisfied. As much as these things cost to make I don't see how you can get more than you pay for. Meaning, you will not get 200 amps of performance from a 100 amp rated battery, regardless of brand. I have seen some youtube testing that showed some might be 10% above the rating, some a little less and a whole lot of info on component quality. Now whether mine will hold up for the 10 yr warranty or not, I don't know. I am counting on it though.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

19. Member
    howdy all. just popped one of our 18.5s on display in our workshop and grabbed some better photos :)
    System is attached to a Garmin 8412XSV for comparison

-Moose
    123024471_3257634537696037_112744378150929141_n.jpg
    122831936_3257634624362695_2095517177334162196_n.jpg122812893_3257634404362717_2405963941251658303_n.jpg

20. Member
    Interested...I have done a set up with iPads. Please pm me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast