Who makes the best electric smoker?

I almost pulled the plug on a Masterbuilt 130b but decided to do some research first. I’m reading mixed reviews on about all electric smokers out there. Anybody have experience with electric Smokers?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A lot of brands have problems with the electronics. The simpler thermostat on the Masterbuilt has the advantage of reliability, but it also takes more fiddling to get it set right since it measures temperature at a single point low in the box while the cooking takes place high in the box. You just have to get some “seat time” to figure out how adding a piece of meat will affect the temperature and adjust accordingly.

I had one of the expensive brands. Had to replace the board three times and a probe once. When it worked, it was sweet, but the last time I replaced the board I cleaned it up and sold. Got tired of the thing just shutting down while cooking or sticking wide open. All repairs were covered, but every time I used it I expected it to quit and I was right way too often.

Replaced it with a Masterbuilt which has never failed me.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I may have to try that Masterbuilt

4. Member
    Warning- I'm biased

Best electric smoker: There isn't one

I'll say this and I stand by it, there isn't a maker of a residential electric smoker that cares about the user experience at all. The biggest issue with any smoker you buy at a retail level is the unit isn't made to do what real smokers need to do. The biggest issue in my mind is insulation, secondly is inferior parts and poor air flow design.

Insulation: Look at offset smokers, those made well and you will find one key thing about them, the ability to keep the heat focused on the important part, the meat in smoking chamber. Electric smokers use cheap thin metal, poor welds and fitting parts that leak heat and you struggle to get any resemblance of true smoking done. Now I'm not saying for the weekend warrior it doesn't get the job done, it does, but I'm someone who owns 6 smokers of various sizes, a bbq restaurant with a smoker that can do over 100 pork butts at a time, plus a bbq trailer that we sell out of with a smoker that is very impressive.

What is the reason your looking for an electric smoker? Price? Ease of use? Inexperience of using a smoker? I'm not saying they should never be purchased, but I think you can get a better experience with something other than a retail electric.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Warning- I'm biased

Best electric smoker: There isn't one

I'll say this and I stand by it, there isn't a maker of a residential electric smoker that cares about the user experience at all. The biggest issue with any smoker you buy at a retail level is the unit isn't made to do what real smokers need to do. The biggest issue in my mind is insulation, secondly is inferior parts and poor air flow design.

Insulation: Look at offset smokers, those made well and you will find one key thing about them, the ability to keep the heat focused on the important part, the meat in smoking chamber. Electric smokers use cheap thin metal, poor welds and fitting parts that leak heat and you struggle to get any resemblance of true smoking done. Now I'm not saying for the weekend warrior it doesn't get the job done, it does, but I'm someone who owns 6 smokers of various sizes, a bbq restaurant with a smoker that can do over 100 pork butts at a time, plus a bbq trailer that we sell out of with a smoker that is very impressive.

What is the reason your looking for an electric smoker? Price? Ease of use? Inexperience of using a smoker? I'm not saying they should never be purchased, but I think you can get a better experience with something other than a retail electric.
    Those are good question. My answer would be ease of use.

I have a MES40 that’s been working better than 10 years. Maybe 15? I did some work on it but it keeps on going. I store it inside, keep it dry, and clean it once in a while. Set and forget. I don’t do pro-Q or compti-Q. Yes, my offset stick burner and egg do better. But it sure is nice to just plug in the MES and eat ribs without having to keep an eye on things when I’m busy. When his thing dies, I'll be at the store getting another the same day.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordel View Post
    Those are good question. My answer would be ease of use.
    Ok, so my biggest suggestion is to know your budget and get the best you can. My two suggestions:

Masterbuilt 560 gravity series: basically you get the best of a few worlds. This unit uses coal and wood and has a control fan. You will get ease of use, natural fuel and the ability to cook at low temps or high Temps and use it like a grill. The 560 has all the benefits of an electric and pellet grill, but you will get better smoke quality and better que off your smoker.

The other option is to look into a ceramic egg type cooker. One of the cookers I have is a kamado Joe with a ceramic deflector plate, secondary grate and a digi que pit controller. I get about 17 hours of use in a properly setup fire with the pit controller keeping the fire under control for me. Bonus again is I can get the grill up to 700 degrees to do burgers or steaks when I want to as well.

I run heavy duty commercial rigs with 3-4 inches of insulation and able to load whole 10" logs into it, but my at home stuff is similar in idea and i try to keep it simple. I do have a few stick burners without controllers, but those I use when I want to reconnect with my cooking. I cook 30 pork butt and 20+ briskets daily, but I still treat them like I would if they were coming out of my back yard and feeding my friends and family, find the best way to make the best que consistently and you will thank yourself for investing in it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Ok, so my biggest suggestion is to know your budget and get the best you can. My two suggestions:

Masterbuilt 560 gravity series: basically you get the best of a few worlds. This unit uses coal and wood and has a control fan. You will get ease of use, natural fuel and the ability to cook at low temps or high Temps and use it like a grill. The 560 has all the benefits of an electric and pellet grill, but you will get better smoke quality and better que off your smoker.

The other option is to look into a ceramic egg type cooker. One of the cookers I have is a kamado Joe with a ceramic deflector plate, secondary grate and a digi que pit controller. I get about 17 hours of use in a properly setup fire with the pit controller keeping the fire under control for me. Bonus again is I can get the grill up to 700 degrees to do burgers or steaks when I want to as well.

I run heavy duty commercial rigs with 3-4 inches of insulation and able to load whole 10" logs into it, but my at home stuff is similar in idea and i try to keep it simple. I do have a few stick burners without controllers, but those I use when I want to reconnect with my cooking. I cook 30 pork butt and 20+ briskets daily, but I still treat them like I would if they were coming out of my back yard and feeding my friends and family, find the best way to make the best que consistently and you will thank yourself for investing in it.
    Thanks for the advice

9. Member
    Masterbuilt. Just dont let the electronics get wet.

10. Member
    CookShack, but they are not cheap.

11. Member
    Been using the Bradley 4 rack digital for a bunch of years. Does everything I need it to do.