Thread: Doybns or ALX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doybns or ALX

Looking to switch brands of casting rods I’m using. Got a good deal on the line I’m using now but I don’t like the sensitivity and the balance. I like to stay using one brand, something 150-250 range. Heard a lot of good things about Dobyns Sierra or fury series and ALX Zolo. Need to get about 6-7 rods to cover my south Louisiana fishing needs.

Couple Texas rig rods
    Punch
    jigs
    spinner
    chatter
    Squarebill
    frog
    Last edited by Riverrat12; 09-29-2020 at 10:11 PM.

2. Member
    ALX all the way. They are everything good about a Dobyns with a better blank and and lower price. In other words, great actions, balance and build but a quality blank vs a generic chinese blank and about 50 bucks cheaper for equivalent models.

3. Member
    Another vote for ALX.

4. Member
    ALX. I fished mostly Dobyns for a few years and feel like balance was the main thing they had going. ALX Zolos are lighter, balanced basically just as good, I find them more sensitive, and I prefer the action of their rods. Plus you mention Dobyns Sierra but most would compare ALX Zolo rods to Dobyns Champion XP. But the Zolos cost ~$50 less.
    Last edited by PSchueller; 09-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.

5. Member
    I vote for Dobyns, they give us military folks a 30 percent discount. I've never tried ALX rods before but will probably pick one up if there's ever a sale on them just to see if i like them or not.
    Last edited by kercha83; 09-30-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

6. Member
    On price point of the Zolo, would it not be comparable to the champion Series? If so, I’d go Dobyns for the $10 difference.

I have been using Dobyns for a while and have a few of the Champion XP rods. They are great. Use some better components (guides are Fuji now. Used to be Kigan).

I am also not a fan of the half cork/half Eva grips.

7. Member
    Pscheuller hit the nail on the head. I also made the switch to alx from dobyns/Loomis. I still think that dobyns has a better cranking lineup, but I prefer alx for everything else.

8. Member
    Zolo $210 - 220
    Champ XP $250 - 260

I would absolutely go ALX ZOLO over Dobyns Fury or Sierra. If you compared to the Champion XP models, that would warrant further discussion. If you haven't had the opportunity to check them out the Daiwa Kage rods are an incredible value at their price point and fish well above it too...

10. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I definitely think I’ll grab a couple zolo’s to try.
    Those Diawa Kage rods are beautiful I’ve had my hands on one before. Not too much info on them. But they would pair up so nicely with all the Tatula sv tw I use.

11. Member
    How do the Kage’s and Zolo’s compare to Fitzgerald AP, stunner, and original lines?

12. Member
    ALX. No question. Great support.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    How is the ALX IKOS line?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    We sell just as many IKOS as we do the other two lines combined. It's very popular but doesn't get the attention the other lines do. It's more focused on general purpose with some glass cranking rods throw in the mix.

While the IKOS blank is imported, we still manufacture the full rod here in Aiken, SC. So all the assembly labor is US and made right beside our ZOLOs and ENOXs and has the same quality requirements. The material used is a very good quality, lightweight with about a 32% resin mix - so the blanks are lively and responsive.

My personal feeling on the IKOS is compared to other rods at the same price point - it's an incredible value. It has better guides, more attention to the details (like trimmed reel seats) and there aren't many $160 rods built stateside. When I designed the IKOS, I knew we couldn't cut corners. The IKOS is the first introduction to ALX for many people (due to the price) and we wanted that to be an outstanding first impression.

15. Member
    ALX for sure

16. Member
    Alx every day of the week and twice on Sunday

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    IKOS line is wonderful. Be hard to find a better rod at that price. Just my opinion. ENOX BMJ and ZOLO Toadface are very versatile, excellent rods on the higher end. But the IKOS Promise really is a "do everything" rod. From skipping docks, pitching light cover, to moving baits. It does so many things really well. I usually have 4 or 5 IKOS Promise on the front deck.

18. Member
    I own an ALX Zolo, gave away a Dobbyn's Fury.

ALX all day every day. Much better rod and not made overseas like Dobyns.

Another vote for ALX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast