Questions about 07 285 xl with Johnson motor

I’m going to look at a 285 Pro XL Thursday and it has a Johnson on it. The guy is selling for his incapacitated brother and says it’s a direct injection motor. I didn’t think Johnson had a DI motor , but I’ve ran Yamaha for 20 years so I don’t know. did this boat come with a DI Johnson or is he mistaken? Also, he says it’s 07, is there a easy way to confirm that while there?

If my memory is correct in 1997 and/or 1998 there was a 150 HP Johnson with the name Fast Strike Ficht. This was a DI motor and if that's what your looking at then you want no part of it. Run Forrest Run, don't walk away. I can give valid reasons if you need to hear them. A model number for the motor will tell you exactly what your dealing with. Again another thing I am not quite sure of but I think 2007 was the last year for production of Johnson motors and in 2007 all they had was smaller HP motors (30 hp and less). I highly doubt a 18 ft boat has a 30 HP motor so if its truly a 2007 then my research is wrong. Again here is where a model number would help determine exactly what motor is in question.

On the motor where the tilt/trim is located there should be a sliver sticker/plate about 2" square. It contains the engine serial number and model number. With the model number you can find out a lot of information about the motor.

If you know what to look for it's really easy to tell the difference between a DI and carburetor motor once the cowl is off.

As for the boat...look at the VIN on the starboard corner of the transom. The last two numbers will be the production year.
    Last edited by JR19; 09-29-2020 at 09:46 PM.

3. Member
    Yea, it’s supposed to be a 2007, that’s why I’m curious. I saw a 285 Magnum for sale a while back and it had a Johnson on it too, so I know some had them around that time.