Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Champion help 94 201sc elite

Just bought a 94 201 sc elite. Gonna need a little help, needs a little work, and it’s my first boat. First anyone know where I can find an owners manual for it? Needs completely rewired, gauges on dash, nav lights, any electronics I add, how is the best way to access all the wiring? Also the blue on the top cap is a little cloudy, do I need to sand it, or is just buffing it all it needs? Thanks in advance

Also, everyone on the Facebook page keeps telling me they don’t think it’s a 201. All I know is that’s what the title says. So any help with that would be appreciated also. HIN # tsb20449h394

One thing I did think was weird is the locker doors are reinforced aluminum not fiberglass, is that normal?

Needs a new windshield also. Any ideas on where to find one would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Presser150; 09-29-2020 at 07:11 PM.

2. Pat Goff
    It could be a 201, if the rating plate says V6 it is. Not a 204.
    The owners manual won't be a big help,it's pretty vague. Don't expect a lot out of it.
    Go to ProTec and get their restore kit, everything you need to make it showroom.
    Aluminum lids started about then, so that's normal.
    C&O marine should get your windshield.
    That's a fine hull, hope you get it going, it'll serve you well.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I don't think it's a 201, the front deck doesn't look long enough. The open space between the rod lockers is the dead give away. Below is a shot of the deck of the 93 201 I had and you can see the deck extension is much longer than the space on yours. Also notice how long the rod locker lids are. I'm going to buck Pat and go with a 190. I could be wrong.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the manual I got with my 93. Like Pat said they are pretty vague, but it does have wiring diagrams. They are geared more toward years of production than specific models. I will say that the basic boat harness is where your average Joe can't do it any harm. There are connectors for the console and bow harnesses, so in my opinion, there's usually no need to rewire the entire boat.

All the lids are aluminum for strength and low weight. I second getting with Carol at C&O on the windshield.

4. Member
    Is there any way to look it up by the HIN#

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I don't think it's a 201, the front deck doesn't look long enough. The open space between the rod lockers is the dead give away. Below is a shot of the deck of the 93 201 I had and you can see the deck extension is much longer than the space on yours. Also notice how long the rod locker lids are. I'm going to buck Pat and go with a 190. I could be wrong.
    That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the pics. That deck extension measures a little over 4' on a 201.

Agree. The lids are aluminum.

Windshields. You don't need no stinking windshields!

Custom Mold and Tint made the originals... I believe. I've bought several replacements from them over the years. They're still in business. http://getaboatwindshield.com/home

I only use them when I put the boat cover on since it was made to fit with them in place. Otherwise, they stay at home.

Yeah, the manual isn't much help. I never reference mine. A multi-meter and a flashlight is all you need to figure out the electrical. There are a few tricks to access everything. Like how to remove the seats - the screws in the seat hinges are obvious. The ones under the seat backs are more challenging. They are in a upholstery tab in the center of each seat section. You can't see them but you can feel around with a Phillips head screw driver and catch them. Removing the seat bench gets you access to inside the gunnels where the wiring runs.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Banned
    Reggie, did they change the 190 quite a bit from 93 to 94? That sure seems different than the 1994 190 that I briefly owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Presser150 View Post
    Is there any way to look it up by the HIN#
    No. The HIN doesn't tell you the model. It only tells you the model year and the month and year it was manufactured.
    What does your coast guard capacity plate say? A 201 might say "any V6" or 225 hp. If it says 200 then I believe it would be a 190. Right guys? It's definitely not a 204 which is the only other model in 94 that would take a 225 or bigger. The 204 has a wider beam and a totally different ass end. The 204 gunnel slants down in the back like the newer models.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Reggie, did they change the 190 quite a bit from 93 to 94? That sure seems different than the 1994 190 that I briefly owned.
    The one that is the subject of this thread looks a lot like a 201. But unless there is some weird photography going on that deck extension space just looks way too short.

9. Banned
    I can tell you one thing, looking at pics on google will really mess with you. It’s amazing how different the various models of 1994 were, some have the tie down on top, some have them angled on the side. Some have bench seats, some have fold down seats. Some have grab bars and some don’t. Must have been crazy times!

10. Member
    I’m gonna have to check out the plate and take a measurement for myself. I was told it was 19’10 which I guess wouldn’t be a 190 or 201. As for the deck extension it seems on mine the rod lockers start a little further back. In the picture above the dc the lockers start directly behind the pedestal, on mine it seems like they start about a foot back from the pedestal, so that may be the difference in the space. It’s being stored right now about an hour away, so I’ll have to get back to you. Thanks for all the info

Looks like a 19'0

12. Pat Goff
    It does sorta look like 190 but the console is squared off like a 201 the 190 had rounded edges.
    The rating plate tells all.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I haven't a clue, Mike

14. Member
    Look at your rating plate like Pat said, if it says any V6 then its a 201, if it says 200 then its a 190, looks like a 190 to me, but like Pat said they have rounded consoles like my 95 190
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

15. Member
    So verdict is in, plate said 200hp. So I measured and 19’. Also checked nada weight and listed weight, it is a 190. I messaged the guy that sold it to me, like I said the title said 201, so I figured he didn’t know, he sells a lot of cars and boats and was upset, didn’t want to look bad so he went straight to the Rhode Island department of environmental management, which had supposedly researched it, before transferring the title to him. They still claim that according to the boats records and the HIN# it is a 201, even though it isn’t ��*♂️

16. Member
    Regardless, that rigs gonna clean up nice & you’ll enjoy it tremendously

17. Banned
    makes one wonder if the title is for the right boat. The 94 190 that I had, was different. My front dock cleats were not on the top of the topcap, they were angled on the side more. The cap was molded differently for them. Mine also had the slide lock pedestals.

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Deans will have the build sheet. It will have the correct info on it. Call them with your HIN.

Deans is a BBC sponsor. Check for their site in the Sponsor List forum. I would post a link to their web site, but am on iPad and no clue how to do that on here.
    Last edited by Lea; 10-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.

makes one wonder if the title is for the right boat. The 94 190 that I had, was different. My front dock cleats were not on the top of the topcap, they were angled on the side more. The cap was molded differently for them. Mine also had the slide lock pedestals.
    And a more rounded console? Maybe same year but different model year? Built after July or whenever they did the model year change? Maybe yours was built in 94 but was a 95 model. What was your HIN?

20. Member
    Tsb20449h394

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast