Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hummingbird vs Garmin Side scanning-is it close?

I suspect the hummingbird side scanning is slightly better but how far behind is the Garmin ultra units versus the hummingbird helix units -let’s say looking at 12” screens ?

2. Member
    I have a 10" Ultra 106SV and I have to say that it is pretty good, not as defined as my 12" Helix Gen3, but definitely not a disappointment.

3. Member
    I started with a Humminbird Helix G3, found it amazing. Got a Livescope and really preferred the user interface of the Garmin and the local lakes had better mapping on the Garmin. So I added a 12" Garmin as my main unit and moved the Helix to Mega 360 duty. But I really miss the detail of the Humminbird for both down and side scan. For seasons where seeing details/fish on the bottom is what catches stuff Humminbird has a clear advantage. I'm going to add a Humminbird at the dash.

4. Member
    No. It's not close. Humminbird Mega is the best in the game right now in terms of level of detail in sidescan. Garmin is not exactly "bad" but having fished both, the Mega is far ahead

5. Member
    TTT

6. Member
    Depends on who you ask. I have had both and I prefer the Garmin over the Helix.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919 View Post
    Depends on who you ask. I have had both and I prefer the Garmin over the Helix.
    what garmin unit are you using and are u comparing it to a helix mega unit? You are speaking to side scanning capability correct?

you didn't get enough on this topic in the last thread you started?
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    you didn't get enough on this topic in the last thread you started?
    No I didn’t -are you knocking me for trying to get additional info so I make a wise buying decision?
    Last edited by creekchub; 09-29-2020 at 08:50 PM.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    creek,

We are an authorized Garmin Dealer and we carry Humminbird as well. My personal opinion is this, Humminbird is the leader in with the Mega transducer and Mega imaging, however, I think that every boat should own a Garmin livescope set up. Pairing both humminbird for side/down and Garmin with livescope is the ticket if your budget allows. However if you want the best for upgrading etc, then go with the Garmin units, the reason why is you get good sidevu, downvu and clearvu/CHIRP but you also get the availability of livescope. I am asked your question often. This is just my opinion, others have theirs. I love to work with fishermen and get them the best electronics for their needs. You cant go wrong with either choice. if you have further questions, shoot me an IM, i would be glad to call you and discuss in further detail. We are a small shop, nothing fancy but are passionate about fishing.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    is it close? not really. Humminbird is the clear winner. Garmin is not terrible but the screen glare on the 7600 series was awful. I could see things in screen shots on the computer at home that i couldn't see out on the water.

12. Member
    Nobody in the electronics game can beat Humminbird's mega imaging when it comes to DI/SI

Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    No I didn’t -are you knocking me for trying to get additional info so I make a wise buying decision?

Don't explain yourself. Informational posts like this are nice to read for some of us.

I have both. The garmin is a little better than the Gen 2 HDS I removed. The birds mega is quite a bit better than the garmin.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Nobody in the electronics game can beat Humminbird's mega imaging when it comes to DI/SI
    this. Where Humminbird lacks is in 2D and Navigation. But other brands aren’t even close to Humminbird in regards to SI/DI. That and with lowrance you need a 18” long transducer where humminbird si transducer is the size of an iPhone
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    this. Where Humminbird lacks is in 2D and Navigation. But other brands aren’t even close to Humminbird in regards to SI/DI. That and with lowrance you need a 18” long transducer where humminbird si transducer is the size of an iPhone
    I feel like its hard to hate on anyone's navigation. Some graphs have better navigation in some parts of the country and others have it better in other parts. Just depends on where you live. I'm in Bama and have used navionics and lakemaster and to me the lakemaster navigation is way better.

I feel like its hard to hate on anyone's navigation. Some graphs have better navigation in some parts of the country and others have it better in other parts. Just depends on where you live. I'm in Bama and have used navionics and lakemaster and to me the lakemaster navigation is way better.
    I dont think he talking about mapping. I have g2 solix and they suck at updating quickly. They are much harder for me to navigate tight channels and do not trust them as I did with the older lowrances.

When people refer to humminbirds poor navigation system they are referring to the following issues based on the Solix but many of the models have the same issues

Says it will hold 10,000 waypoints but if you put more than 500 in it the chart slows down and zoom acts up

You cannot search the list of waypoints you can only scroll through all of them (Real slow)

Charts don’t zoom in as close as other brands

You can’t save your tracks (known Bug)

The customize depth colors option doesn’t allow you to pick the colors and is difficult to understand unlike other brands

When you create a route it adds tons of waypoints you don’t need/want slowing down the chart

The track system cuts the corners/turns off your track making it impossible to track back correctly
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1083426

“GOTO” navigation shuts off when running rough water - videos here on BBC and YouTube prove it’s done this ever since the 900 series
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ght=navigation

If all you use is the base map it will not default to it – you have to select it every time you start the unit or you see a blank screen

Solix waypoint icons are unique to Solix only and will show up as the default icon when imported or networked to another unit – They are a joke!

Depth offset only works with HB charts even though Navionics has this feature in their charts

Last but no least HB has no software designed to manage the new file format of waypoints and nav data
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    No. It's not close. Humminbird Mega is the best in the game right now in terms of level of detail in sidescan. Garmin is not exactly "bad" but having fished both, the Mega is far ahead
    I sell a ton of Humminbird units but the Garmin 8600 series will give it a run for the money as it’s got a better processor in them. It’s night and day difference. Garmin also is pushing hard to be the best in bass fishing graphs

20. Member
    to me it's 9 vs a 10. Both are good, long as you can use them. JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast