Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I have done some dumb stuff with low profile baitcasters, I never get bad backlashes. I use the brakes so a kid can pick it up and cast it like a zebco. Sure, I loose distance, I don't care, I save time not ever having to worry about a backlash. I only grab my baitcast rigs for hard baits, everything else goes on a spinning rig.
    Thats when I reach down a grab one of my spinning reels. I’m too P.O. to grab another bait caster from the deck. Of course when you do reach down to get another setup, all the tips of the rods are mixed in together. Now you have to untangle half a dozen rod tips. All this time I’m inventing new nasty words.

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I was building my mother a deck about 15 years ago. I had my chalk line out and one end tied off. A baby black kitten got in the line and got wrapped up. My mom had to take scissors to cut the line to free the kitten. That black kitten has grown up and is a great cat and I’d bet he is lying on my mom’s bed as I write this.
    Damn them ...

...and yeah; I’ve known a couple.
    Who controls John Gill?

3. Member
    I see somebody took up the KVD School of Knitting. That photo sure looks like a doozy. Pair of nippers fisherman's best friend. Ever had a buddy you've fished with readjust your drag settings unbeknownst to you. I'll tell you, I.ve spent hours in the basement, working on a personal best backlash. Just won't let a little overrun beat me. Even had to take the spool out of the reel and unwind line by hand. That's what you call Cheap.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Thats when I reach down a grab one of my spinning reels. I’m too P.O. to grab another bait caster from the deck. Of course when you do reach down to get another setup, all the tips of the rods are mixed in together. Now you have to untangle half a dozen rod tips. All this time I’m inventing new nasty words.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post

Probably my worst. Was chucking a 3/4 oz bait as far as possible on a 7’11” rod. That was a cut off and start over kinda mess.
    Wow - that's a "trophy backlash"!

After Crappie fishing exclusively for a long time, I went bass fishing a few weeks ago using my equipment that hasn't been touched in about 4 or 5 years. I got about 6-10 casts out of each one before getting a severe backlash, I guess due to the excessive amount of memory in the line. I started the day with a total of 12 rod/reel combos and came home with 3 that were still usable, all spinning reels -- It as baaaad...
    The next day I removed every bit of line from all of my reels and started fresh, now their ready to go!

7. Member

Probably my worst. Was chucking a 3/4 oz bait as far as possible on a 7’11” rod. That was a cut off and start over kinda mess.

Take home project. Always have a couple spare reels especially on a windy day.

8. Member
    I've had a couple like this. It's really bad when it backlashes so hard, it loops around the drag star, reel handles, rod trigger and your belt. But my best was backlashing a reel just taking it out of the locker. No joke. I reached into the rod locker, all my rods in rod gloves. Grabbed the one I wanted, started to slide it out of the rod glove, once it was free, I pulled fast to get it out. Turns out another rod had bumped it hard enough on the drive to that spot just right and disengaged the reel, and a treble hook bait caught the line by the reel. When I pulled the rod out, backlash. Never even made a cast. Just sat there, staring at the reel like "so this is how it's gonna be"
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

9. Member
    The worst one I got this year was on my Tatula sv don’t let anyone ever tell you they won’t backlash.I went back my spinnerbait got caught in some brush and I let her rip I just went home and cut it all off.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

That's a winner. Worst one I ever had was when I hit an overhanging limb about 10 feet away that I didn't see. Lure stopped, but the spool kept spinning.

11. Member
    Long story but......

A few years ago a buddy of mine calls me up and asks if I'd be interested in letting someone use my new Bass Cat for a photo shoot. Since I live on a lake it would be real convenient for everyone. Since the shoot was for an expensive line of rain gear he said we would get a small check and some free stuff out of it too. Anyway the photographer guy meets us over at the community dock along with a couple models. These guys are tall, handsome and pretty confident (i.e. arrogant). So they get dressed in the rain gear and take some pictures in the boat. I'm not paying too much attention and I'm over on the dock talking to the other guy when the cameraman says he would like to get some pictures of him casting a rod. My buddy starts to hand him one of his rods on the deck and asks him "do you know how to cast". The model scoffs and says "of course" and as my Buddy is just about release the rod the guy says "I fly fish". He calmly grabs the rod, lays it back on the deck and grabs my rig and gives it to him. Before I can say anything he tries to make a cast and "puff", the biggest bird nest you've ever seen. My buddy just stands there and grins...........

12. Dogfish_Jones
    I remember my first baitcaster. I went to a sporting good store called Oshmans, (out of business now), bought a Daiwa, when back then had no anti backlash gizmo in them.
    I took it home and tied on a plastic practice plug and spent many of hours in the backyard learning to throw it, also practicing how how to get a birds nest out of them.

This is why God created us with opposable thumbs.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Freshly spooled reel, first cast out with a jig, a small amount of overrun, while clearing it saw my line jump and start moving sideways, set the hook in my excitement forgetting that I had not engaged the spool yet, lost the entire spool of line.
    Haha seen this happen to one of my buddy's
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    You know it is going to be a bad day when you backlash the toilet paper in the morning!
    ^^^ you win this round

And that is why I like my Berkley Big Game! It doesn’t hurt when you pull out the knife.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I do not know ow folks use a spinning reel without geting the loop of death coming off of the spool eventually. I have many more line issues with a spinning reel and I only use one a time or two every year.

I can backlash almost every trip out.

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Trying doing it on the first cast of the day on a tourney......
    Probably 14 years ago at least and first cast from the back of the boat I found the light pole

As for my worst nest I learned with an old blue Ambassadeur 550c. No telling how many I had to cut out of that thing. I try to stick with Shimano for baitcast reels because I like their braking system and it's what I'm used to.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I do not know ow folks use a spinning reel without geting the loop of death coming off of the spool eventually. I have many more line issues with a spinning reel and I only use one a time or two every year.
    The key to solving that problem is making sure you do not put so much line on the spool. I use the Daiwa Tutula and the Fuego andIve never had that happen......so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123