PP Charge

Any of you guys running one yet?
    Pretty expensive, worth it?

Read the manual

you will find a few interesting things
    https://www.power-pole.com/manuals/d...manual/id/180/

Install instructions say
    DO NOT operate charger in a closed-in area or restrict ventilation
    DO NOT mount below water line (is it water proof?)
    DO NOT mount adjacent to the fuel tanks.
    DO NOT mount directly above the batteries.
    (basically do not mount in battery compartment)

draws power from cranking battery to keep trolling motor batteries charged
    When plugged into AC source it charges trolling motor batteries first and then charges cranking battery last (not at the same time)

To use your smart phone you have to buy the Gateway to NMEA 2000 connector for an extra 120.00 most of the features are accessed through the smart phone

when or if the cranking battery gets to low to start the big motor you have to select emergency start that takes 5 or more minutes to charge the cranking battery enough to start the big motor - its not a jump switch it takes time

Good concept but poorly executed -
    you should never draw from the cranking battery and risk not being able to start big motor or lose pumps, lights and so on
    the cranking battery has enough drawing off it and doesn't need to charge the trolling motor batteries as well
    Moving power back and forth from battery to battery you will lose some of it in the transfer
    I'm all for having the ability to charge the trolling motor batteries while running the big motor but the rest is not needed

There are plenty of products that can charge the trolling motor batteries while big motor is running for a lot cheaper and a jump switch is instantaneous

One last thing to consider

Fishing big water all the time I’ve been in a couple of circumstances that required me to start the big motor quickly and if I had to wait 5 minutes I would have been swamped and/or truly in a life threatening situation
    Last edited by MichAngler; 09-29-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    AGREE !

4. Moderator
    Doesn't sound to interesting for a bass boat.

5. Member
    I have had a charge system in my boat for a couple of months now and it works great. I have not had to use the jump feature so I can't say first hand how long it takes. What I really like is I can see my battery levels at all times to know what charge they have remaining just by looking at my phone. If I feel its getting low and get uncomfortable I can start the motor and charge my batteries on the water. I just fished Mille Lacs here in Minnesota for 7.5 hours a few weeks ago and when I made the final run of of the day at a distance of 10 miles or so, when I took the boat out of the water I checked my battery charge levels quick and all batteries were 90-100% charged from the long run.

But, I just switched to lithium trolling batteries a couple of weeks ago (it charges them fully in 1.5-2 hours). I'm not sure how accurate the lithium battery levels are at this point, best I can tell the charge system uses voltage drop to determine battery levels. Lithium batteries do not have much voltage drop so I'm not sure if I trust the charges reported battery levels yet. I need more time on the water to determine if I trust the levels.

But 2 things that are not accurate statements above about this system are:
    1.Actually you control which way it pulls the battery levels. It can be from trolling batteries to main cranking battery or from the crank battery to the trolling batteries. It has a slider control in the app that you decide which battery has priority.
    2.And also you do not need a NMEA gateway to use your phone it connects directly via Bluetooth.

The Charge system may not be for everyone, But I sure have liked it so far. I would recommend it if you can afford it and are interested in its features.

6. Member
    the gateway allows you to connect to lowrance electronics

7. Member
    I have been considering the Minn Kota "Alternator", it is way cheaper, not as cool but does the major function I am interested in. You can get a battery indicator cheap. I am just not sure if I will ever NEED to charge my trolling motor batteries on the water. I think the biggest advantage is the systems that use the alternator from your motor have is they can give a better charge than using an AC power source.

8. Banned
    what useful thing does it do the MK and trollbridge dont to justify the price ?

9. Member
    Get a Delta volt battery fuel gauge. It hooks up to your batteries and shows percentage of charge on the gauge and via Bluetooth on your phone. Best $80 I have spent on my boat. Also add a Tournament Saver Pro. It is a jump start system. With a press of a button you can quickly and instantly jump start your engine for $100-$120. If You have those 2 items installed with decent batteries and a charger you are golden! I have been more then happy with this set up in my boat and it isn't expensive.

10. Member
    Best 1295 I’ve spent on a bass boat. The key is you likely never need to jump start the boat. I’m running 4 12” graphs, livescope and running 27 group small ass batteries that should not keep up. I just won my TBF regional , ran pumps all day and hardly had to drive the boat , no issues.

best tech out there. Gateway is for on your lowrance display to avoid using phone.

ive also put 14+ hour days and no issues whatsoever. Before this system I was always jumping the boat with a noco.ran the charge all 2020 season and didn’t jump once! Even forgot to plug boat in for up to 2 weeks. Check my app and go shit!!! Battery levels still solid enough to start.

11. Member
    I have had a PP Charge for over a month now. I will never go back to a regular charger. For me, it works as advertised. I did not have to by an adapter to connect to my phone. In two tournaments, the trolling battery has been over 95 percent at the end of the day.