2001 Mercury Pro XB 250 Maintenance

Hello All,

About a year ago, I purchased a 2001 Ranger 522vx with a Pro XB on it. Serial number OT235772. When purchased I had a Compression test done on it(came back excellent) and found out the Motor had only 73 hours on it.

since then, I have changed the LU oil. And now am looking to do some more maintenance on it. The Motor fires on the first crank every time and has been awesome thus far. (besides an oil sensor)

I know the Water Pump needs changed, but I was looking for some input on anything else I need to be checking on a 20 year old Motor with under 100 hours. I'm no Excellent Mechanic but trying to learn.

any Help is appreciated.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ That's a good reference- simply ignore references to the Air Compressor, and Air Compressor Strainer or Filters (those are Optimax-Only items).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor