Thread: Ross Barnett

Ross Barnett

Just wondering if it has started picking up yet. Would like to come down and take my son fishing. Was there about a month ago and it was tough then. This time of year here at Pickwick it can be hard to find them but a few more cold fronts and it will be game on. When does Barnett start it’s fall pattern?

2. Banned
    I fished it Friday. It was still tough. Only picked up a few small fish and ran from mid lake all the way up the river a good ways.

Only fish I caught were on a jig on laydowns on up the river.

3. Member
    If I lived in Booneville MS I'd never put my boat in Ross Barnett again. Except for about two months out of the year it totally sucks. There has never been one thing done to help the fishery. I'd rather fish Pickwick or Bay Springs any day.

4. Member
    Shad is only thing to chase. There are a few spots that produce but kinda tough to fish. I have gone a few times this year with only one or two micro fish in boat
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    If I lived in Booneville MS I'd never put my boat in Ross Barnett again. Except for about two months out of the year it totally sucks. There has never been one thing done to help the fishery. I'd rather fish Pickwick or Bay Springs any day.

The Rez had some tough years recently but water levels and weather weren’t the best.

This year was actually really good from Feb through May. I caught a lot of good healthy fish early this year. I’m hoping the fall turns on too.

Having said that, I would still go to Pickwick.

6. Member
    The reason water levels haven't been the best is because they drew it down and kept it down. Had nothing to do with the fishery. Look, I've fished the Rez for twenty five or so years and I can catch fish there but the management of the lake sucks now and has for decades. As stated, there has never been one thing done to help the fishery. The spraying program is and has been a disaster. It should be a great lake but it will go on as always on auto pilot. Always has and always will.