Generator Cargo Rack/ Cart

Bought two Honda 2200 generators during a hurricane evacuation earlier this year and wanted to get a hitch mount cargo carrier to put on back of rv (I know I would need to install a frame mounted hitch not just mount it to the bumper). I also was kind of wanting a cart to put the generators on when I am not in the rv so I could roll them out of the shed when needed/ periodically to start them up. Would also figure out some way to put a cover over the cart to keep the rain off the generators if I needed them when its raining.

Got to thinking that maybe there was a cart that could be hitch mounted, but only found 1 and it was pretty expensive because it had a winch setup for attaching the cart to the hitch and did not really leave enough ground clearance for mounting on the back of a rv.

Thought about just finding a way to mount a lawn cart to a hitch, but know they are not made to take the lod of a generator while traveling down the road so decided to see if I could make a cargo rack into a cart also. Found an aluminum cargo rack with folding receiver and some 10” caster wheels. Would need to have wheel attachments fabricated to attach to the cargo carrier.

I put some pictures of the drawing I made for this. Let me know what yall think and if you see anything I may want to change.

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage7.png

image8.pngimage6.pngimage1.png
    2019 Nitro Z-18 DC
    Mercury 150 Pro-XS 4-Stroke 23 Fury

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwash View Post
    Bought two Honda 2200 generators during a hurricane evacuation earlier this year and wanted to get a hitch mount cargo carrier to put on back of rv (I know I would need to install a frame mounted hitch not just mount it to the bumper). I also was kind of wanting a cart to put the generators on when I am not in the rv so I could roll them out of the shed when needed/ periodically to start them up. Would also figure out some way to put a cover over the cart to keep the rain off the generators if I needed them when its raining.

Got to thinking that maybe there was a cart that could be hitch mounted, but only found 1 and it was pretty expensive because it had a winch setup for attaching the cart to the hitch and did not really leave enough ground clearance for mounting on the back of a rv.

Thought about just finding a way to mount a lawn cart to a hitch, but know they are not made to take the lod of a generator while traveling down the road so decided to see if I could make a cargo rack into a cart also. Found an aluminum cargo rack with folding receiver and some 10” caster wheels. Would need to have wheel attachments fabricated to attach to the cargo carrier.

I put some pictures of the drawing I made for this. Let me know what yall think and if you see anything I may want to change.

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage7.png

image8.pngimage6.pngimage1.png
    how about a used handicap electric cart rack?

3. Banned
    Thats kinda cool, thought about doing the same thing with an anvil and bench grinder for farrier work.. Then I figured out the only thing that sucks more than doing my horses feet, is doing other peoples horses feet.

4. retired military technici mt72916's Avatar
    I installed a receiver hitch on my camper. I have a champion 3500 watt generator that I put in a cargo carrier tray when not towing my boat. Because it sits further back than the camper bumper, I sometimes drag the bottom of the carrier tray when exiting some gas stations or food locations. So watch out for on what is lower than the bumper on your camper.

Ranger 2002 175 DVS F115 Yamaha
    Ulterra SI, Helix 9 MSI G3 on bow and console
    2007 2500 6.7 Diesel Ram 2015 Crusader 294RLT
    fish DeGray lake in April & October