Thread: Mayo lake

Mayo lake

spent the weekend on mayo trying to find some fish but it was tough. managed to find some smaller fish but nothing over 3 lbs. any tips on where to find the bigger ones? are they still out deep and haven't started moving to the shallows yet. didnt really catch a lot of small ones either just picked them up here and there.

thanks

2. Banned
    State sprayed it, killing all the grass, along with the fishery, Some say there is some left. I didnt see much of any. Its a bit over 2 hours for me, thinking not worth a return trip. Saw a few folks vertical jigging near the damn, didnt see any catching.

3. Member
    grass is still there in places and that is where i am finding smaller fish but not luck finding bigger ones. have to get the bait though the grass but can manage a fish.

4. Member
    Don't know where they sprayed grass on Mayo but the one hump I fished and the creek I fished had to pulled grass off the bait

5. Banned
    Wonder if the water was just really high when I was there. I am interested because the lake is known for a couple unique species of pickerel that should move into shallow vegetation to spawn in early spring. Would appreciate some areas to focus on. I explored the creeks south of bridge, and then several coves going to the dam.
    wont mess with your bass spots.
    Ive caught one of every pike species I am aware of other than the Amur in China and the redfin which should be 2 hours away.

Go to Mayo in March should be pretty easy to catch them
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

7. Member
    spent a couple days out there this past week with very little succes for bass. caught a few of pike but struggling with the bass. i am finding them in 20-35 ft of water but cant seem to get any of them in the boat. any suggestions? i have tried to fish shallow but not much luck at all.

I was out there this past week. They sprayed the hydrilla in the dam area last fall and that really hurt the fishing. The fish are still around but scattered out now with no grass to concentrate them as much. After hours of idling in areas up there I was able to find 2 tiny patches of hydrilla that either got missed or survived the spraying. Havent caught many fish on those patches though, just a few back in June. There is still grass to be found on the flat points and in the mid lake creeks. I think this grass is a mix of coontail and chara (skunkgrass). Some of the grass smells like garlic and skunky. I caught a bunch of fish between april and june around that grass. The fish I found last week were sitting in 30 to 35 foot. Some suspended and some holding tight to the bottom. TBH I rarely fish shallow at this lake except for february through april. Not a very big shad population at mayo and I think a lot of fish feed on bluegill.