Could it get any worse?

It sucks to live where I can get to 3 lakes In about 30 minutes and the Bass Fishing is horrible. Cave Run, Grayson and Yatesville. Back in the day Yatesville use to be a hot little lake but the pressure, number of people keeping fish and the jig pollers has taken its toll on the small lake. Its unreal how these lakes get hammered. You can still catch some descent fish from time to time but I believe it’s time to impose a Bass season on these Lakes to protect these fish when they’re spawning.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordel View Post
    It sucks to live where I can get to 3 lakes In about 30 minutes and the Bass Fishing is horrible. Cave Run, Grayson and Yatesville. Back in the day Yatesville use to be a hot little lake but the pressure, number of people keeping fish and the jig pollers has taken its toll on the small lake. Its unreal how these lakes get hammered. You can still catch some descent fish from time to time but I believe it’s time to impose a Bass season on these Lakes to protect these fish when they’re spawning.
    Social media is the great downfall of many lakes and lots of other things in todays society!!! I like to ride dirt bikes when i'm not fishing. Most places to ride for years have been kept secret and enjoyed by locals. When it gets discovered by people with social media the crowds come and the area gets shut down due to all the damage. It just keeps happening over and over across the country
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

3. Member
    Years back you could always count on going to yatesville and catch some good bass. Now it fishes totally different and at times is just down right horrible.

This is what growing the sport gets you.
    Ranger Forever

5. Banned
    If you can get to the Ohio River... Then yes, it can get worse... Dan

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott c View Post
    Years back you could always count on going to yatesville and catch some good bass. Now it fishes totally different and at times is just down right horrible.
    I can remember in the early 2000,s having 17 and 18 pound bags in the spring couldn’t even get you in top 3 most weeks. It’s sad. The catfishing for flatheads is getting horrible to. Everything out of there now gets sold to a Paylake. It’s disgusting.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    If you can get to the Ohio River... Then yes, it can get worse... Dan
    Dan it’s funny you mention the Ohio River. I only live 30 minutes from the Ashland and Greenup boat ramps to the Ohio River. The last time I was on the Ohio Was around 2006 this time of year Fishing a tournament and I had never been before. I had a limit of 5 fish with almost 10 pounds. I won the tournament on a Rattle Trap and had lunker at 3.75 pounds and had another almost 2.5. Needless to say that’s the last time I’ve been on the River.

8. Member
    Dan it’s funny you mention the Ohio River. I only live 30 minutes from the Ashland and Greenup boat ramps to the Ohio River. The last time I was on the Ohio Was around 2006 this time of year Fishing a tournament and I had never been before. I had a limit of 5 fish with almost 10 pounds. I won the tournament on a Rattle Trap and had lunker at 3.75 pounds and had another almost 2.5. Needless to say that’s the last time I’ve been on the River.
    You crushed it!!! I've been in tournaments on the river and have seen 5 fish limits not even break 5lbs.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe View Post
    You crushed it!!! I've been in tournaments on the river and have seen 5 fish limits not even break 5lbs.
    This does happen a lot on the river. I’ve won tournaments with five fish that went less than five lbs.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Tournaments have ruined Yatesville lake. So many KVD wanna be’s out there. Similar on Paintsville but it was never near as good as Yatesville.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Tournaments have ruined Yatesville lake. So many KVD wanna be’s out there. Similar on Paintsville but it was never near as good as Yatesville.
    Yes I’ll agree ��. There only only use to be 2 tournaments a week. Now I’ve heard up to many as 6-8 tournaments have been held on the lake just on weekends. I even heard they have weekday tournaments now since COVID. It’s sad and nobody hardly weighs in bags anymore.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe View Post
    I felt like We won the Bassmaster Classic lol. So many people watching the weigh in it was awesome. When I pulled out that large mouth that went almost 4 pounds everybody’s mouth just dropped. I bet we caught 2 limits of Small fish That day. Caught all kinds of White bass or stripers and a few smallies.

13. bullyfish
    The only way to improve fishing is the state up the size limit 20 inches and 3 fish limit State wide. But they don’t have the balls to do it