99 VMAX head suggestions?

So, had some issues and tracked it down to water mixing with fuel. Compression good (for the age of the motor). Leak down test cold only 10% for all cylinders. However, when I pulled cooling jacket and heads off, I found evidence of scaring on #4. Water leak was on #6. The question is, can and/or should the head surface be "refinished" or replaced?? Prior to this issue, motor ran great. Had rpm as high as 6700 (for short durations) trying to test PTP, props and setback. Thoughts?? TIA.
    20200928_182913.jpg20200928_182913.jpg

2. Member
    I would replace the head. I would look at the rings and pistons in that cylinder.
    6700 rpms?
    Seems alot to be turning what boat, prop pitch?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    I would replace the head. I would look at the rings and pistons in that cylinder.
    6700 rpms?
    Seems alot to be turning what boat, prop pitch?
    Well, like I said, all cylinders appear to be good and have good compression and leak down values. #4 doesn't look terribly different than any of the others in terms of wear or anything.
    As far as boat etc... Yes, I realize it was high, and that's why I now went from a 23" pitch three blade to a 26" Trophy plus. It's a 2001 Xpress X19- Had some "imperfections" in the pad area, but - fairly light for the 200 VMAX. 8" setback and hydraulic JP. None the less, I appreciate the advice... I will see what I can find...

4. Member
    No way you have < 10% leakdown with that kind of peppering ........unless someone rebuilt it and reused that head. What do bores look like ? Pistons oversize ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    No way you have < 10% leakdown with that kind of peppering ........unless someone rebuilt it and reused that head. What do bores look like ? Pistons oversize ?
    Guessing you're absolutely right. Cylinders look good, pistons look good. Haven't taken a micrometer to them to see if they aren't spec. As stated, compression and leak down were both good prior to opening it up. We'll see what she does when I get her back together. Maybe stupid, but I opted to pull the exhaust manifold off as well. In the process, a good number of the bolts busted... Obviously, that complicates the rebuild... Ugh.. if it ain't one thing, it's another...