Capacitor - Issues, Responsibilities, etc.

My engine: 2005 200hp E200FHLSOR. Had the EMM fixed. Checked and replaced all fuses. Relays all good. Replaced solenoid. All battery connections clean and strong with new battery Odyssey 2150. Put fixed EMM in it last week and motor tried cranking approximately 4 times then wouldn’t even turn. The fuel pump stopped engaging with key turned. Replaced solenoid and main 70amp relay and no change. Called Marine Computer Supply guy that fixed EMM to see if he had any thoughts and he said check the capacitor because it could be bad and cause the EMM to go again. I checked the capacitor and boy was it corroded all to hell lol. I’m assuming it’s toast without having to test it. Guy said he’d fix the EMM again at no charge and to change our capacitor before reinstalling EMM. Anyone else ever done this? I’m somewhat familiar with what a capacitor does. However, I’m wondering what exact functions it serves in my Evinrude and if it would keep it from starting/turning over and effect the fuel pump from coming on with key turned. Hoping the big brains reply lol. Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail
    Ben Franklin

2000 Ranger 518vx Comanche

The capacitor is used to develop the 40 volts that drives the injectors, fuel and oil. The one in the picture sure looks bad to me, looks like it has been leaking for a while!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    Yeah it’s the first time I’ve looked at it since we bought the boat in June. Got a new one on the way soon. Wasn’t easy finding a new one. Hopefully that and getting the EMM checked over/fixed will get this monstrosity started for once lol. If this doesn’t do it, then no trip for us mid October.
    Ben Franklin

4. Member
    Update: New capacitor installed. Sent computer off to MCS and like he said the bad capacitor blew a trace on the EMM. He fixed and returned and I reinstalled it. Motor started up nicely after a few cranks after sitting for a long while. Ran well on muffs and shifted smoothly. Real test will be at Chickamauga all next week. Guess we’ll have to battle for fish rich real estate against the pros of BASS lol.
    Ben Franklin