Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual Pro chargers and AGM batteries

I have the original triple bank charger from Pro Charging Systems (PCS) in my 1998 Champ 203. Yes, the same changer is still going strong 22 years later. My question is whether anyone else has one of these chargers this old , and if so, if you switched to AGM batteries did it charge the AGMs? I want to upgrade my cranking battery to a group 31 for my electronics and cranking and would like to get an AGM if possible. So, 1. will a charger this old charge AGMs and 2. if my trolling motor batteries are lead acid will the charger charge the trolling batteries and AGM at the same time or do I need to change those to AGM too. I did contact PCS but got no response from them. Hope these questions make sense and thanks for your input.

2. Member
    AGM charging profile is the same as lead acid.

It’s charged my AGM’s the last 5 years without fail. Actually has charged them better than my old brand.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Member
    The older DP chargers like yours do not have Delta Volt. DV is a more compatible AGM charging technology. It will probably do a decent job with a mid range AGM like the Duracell, but I would not trust it to do the job with a high quality AGM like a Northstar/X2 or an Odyssey. In fact, Odyssey only approves the newer DP with DV for their batteries. You can mix AGM and flooded batteries. If you call DP and ask them if your charger without DV will properly charge an AGM, you will get mixed answers. Depends on who answers your call
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

The newer ones have DV like mine here.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. mikesxpress
    Get the serial # off the tag affixed to the power cord and call them. They can tell you exactly what to expect from your unit as compared to the newer Delta volt models.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Get the serial # off the tag affixed to the power cord and call them. They can tell you exactly what to expect from your unit as compared to the newer Delta volt models.
    How do you get them to answer the phone? They never respond to emails sent to them through their website.

The older DP chargers like yours do not have Delta Volt. DV is a more compatible AGM charging technology. It will probably do a decent job with a mid range AGM like the Duracell, but I would not trust it to do the job with a high quality AGM like a Northstar/X2 or an Odyssey. In fact, Odyssey only approves the newer DP with DV for their batteries. You can mix AGM and flooded batteries. If you call DP and ask them if your charger without DV will properly charge an AGM, you will get mixed answers. Depends on who answers your call.

That is what I was a little concerned about, i.e. not having the DV function. I would probably go with a Duracell type AGM. Since my charger is doing so well I just don't want to re-route all the wires to install the newest DP charger. I have been very impressed with their product though (22 years of function)

Thanks everyone for taking your time to help me.

8. Member
    I saw from a previous post that you have an HPDI. You are lucky that it is fairly low demand for ccas (512) so you should be fine with that Duracell (800 ccas) giving you adequate leeway for accessories.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I saw from a previous post that you have an HPDI. You are lucky that it is fairly low demand for ccas (512) so you should be fine with that Duracell (800 ccas) giving you adequate leeway for accessories.
    Thank you for checking that and yes I have a 2004 250 hpdi. I have been using a 27 group Delco Voyager for many years to crank the motor and run two Humminbird 798 units. The other accessories are minimal, stereo, bilges, live-well pumps, etc. I used to have a 36 volt setup with three Delcos (using the crank as one of those three) for the TM but changed to 24 volt when Jones Trolling motor updated my 81 thrust MG Tour trolling motor. They said the TM would be just as strong with 24 volt. So now I have a dedicated battery for my motor and graphs, etc. I decided to try to get a 31 group to fit in my battery compartment which I think I can make it work. So that is why I have these questions. I appreciate your input.

10. Member
    If you can't fit a 31, then another good choice would be a Deka Marine Master 27M6. It is a group 27 wet battery with 840 ccas and 182 RC. No worries about AGM compatibility and quite inexpensive. Probably very similar in specs to the Delco that you have. The Duracell/Deka 27 AGM is too under spec'd for you.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    If you can't fit a 31, then another good choice would be a Deka Marine Master 27M6. It is a group 27 wet battery with 840 ccas and 182 RC. No worries about AGM compatibility and quite inexpensive. Probably very similar in specs to the Delco that you have. The Duracell/Deka 27 AGM is too under spec'd for you.
    Would a DekaDC31DT be better than the 27M6?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    I also found this Deka 9A34M. It says it is a group 34 but it is smaller in size which is great and lighter. Would this one work well?

13. Member
    I also found this Deka 9A34M. It says it is a group 34 but it is smaller in size which is great and lighter. Would this one work well?
    Well, I was able to talk to Dual Pro systems and they said my charger would not function with AGM batteries so I need to stick with lead acid only. So that limits my choices.

I think they're trying to cover themselves without going into the weeds too far with that reply. As mentioned above, *most* AGM batteries should be charged with the same charging profile as lead acid batteries. Notable exceptions would be Optimas and the "pure lead" AGMs like Odyssey (I would also lump the X2 (Batteries Plus) and NorthStar AGMs in with the Odyssey; the X2 is the same battery as a NorthStar by the way). The Deka being mentioned in this thread should be charged on a lead acid profile, and I think would charge great with your setup. If you'd rather get a lead acid battery, that's of course fine as well.

As an aside, as has been alluded to above, Deka is the "name brand" of battery manufacturer East Penn who also manufactures batteries for several other OEMs. Included in this are Duracell, Super Start (O'Reilly Auto), and many others. So for example, if you grab a group 31 Duracell AGM at Sam's, it's going to be identical to the group 31 Deka Intimidator.

The biggest battery you can afford / fit is always the best idea for reliability and longevity. . Common group sizes seen in marine batteries from smallest to largest are 34<24<27<29/31. Yep, despite the misleading designation, 34 is the smallest you can get and I think is best left on the sidelines for most any bass boat application.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I think they're trying to cover themselves without going into the weeds too far with that reply. As mentioned above, *most* AGM batteries should be charged with the same charging profile as lead acid batteries. Notable exceptions would be Optimas and the "pure lead" AGMs like Odyssey (I would also lump the X2 (Batteries Plus) and NorthStar AGMs in with the Odyssey; the X2 is the same battery as a NorthStar by the way). The Deka being mentioned in this thread should be charged on a lead acid profile, and I think would charge great with your setup. If you'd rather get a lead acid battery, that's of course fine as well.

As an aside, as has been alluded to above, Deka is the "name brand" of battery manufacturer East Penn who also manufactures batteries for several other OEMs. Included in this are Duracell, Super Start (O'Reilly Auto), and many others. So for example, if you grab a group 31 Duracell AGM at Sam's, it's going to be identical to the group 31 Deka Intimidator.

The biggest battery you can afford / fit is always the best idea for reliability and longevity. . Common group sizes seen in marine batteries from smallest to largest are 34<24<27<29/31. Yep, despite the misleading designation, 34 is the smallest you can get and I think is best left on the sidelines for most any bass boat application.
    This helps a lot. I think I will go with one of these: DC31DT or DP31DT I did find that Yamaha recommends to not use an AGM battery with the HPDI motors. Don't know if this is a real issue or not but concerns me a little bit.

16. Member
    The DC31 is a deep cycle battery which actually is fine with your HPDI. The DP31 is a dual purpose battery. Of those two, with your engine, I would go with the DP31 as it has more ccas. The 27M6 that I referred to in one of my above posts is a cranking battery and has more ccas than both of those. All three have around the same RC (182-190) and all three of these flooded batteries would work for you.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

17. Member
    The DC31 is a deep cycle battery which actually is fine with your HPDI. The DP31 is a dual purpose battery. Of those two, with your engine, I would go with the DP31 as it has more ccas. The 27M6 that I referred to in one of my above posts is a cranking battery and has more ccas than both of those. All three have around the same RC (182-190) and all three of these flooded batteries would work for you.
    Thanks catdude and everyone. I am going to try and find these locally as they won't ship these batteries. Lowe's has the DC but not the DP. I like you prefer to get the DP.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Thank you. Tyler is a one hour drive for me to pick one up so not too bad.

19. Member
    I thought the Duo Pro that came from the factory on my Ranger did a good job, until I swapped it out for a Minn Kota Precision charger. Now, it's like I have a new set of batteries. The Duo Pro clearly wasn't charging the AGMs right.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

20. Member
    I am starting to suspect my Pro Mariner is not either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast