Thread: Spinnerbait rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinnerbait rod

Looking to improve my spinnerbait fishing. What is your favorite rod and reel. Thanks.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

I like both the Tatula and Curado K for reels... but I love my ALX Rods ZOLO Deputy for 1/2 oz blades.

If I need a shorter rod to sniper shoot under docks, I'm usually 3/8oz blade and run an ALX Rods ZOLO Rosa.

3. Member
    Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'9 Medium Heavy. $79.99. Favorite spinner bait rod.

Expensive baitcasting rods and reels are overrated in my opinion... I use all Abu Garcia and Falcon HD rods which are about 79.99. Abu garcia Promax/Revo reels. (and no i am not sponsored!)

St Croix for all spinning rods.

4. Member
    I like the 6'9" rods also for spinnerbaits. I use a Loomis sbr813 with an older Revo reel with 6:4:1 gear ratio. I throw mostly 3/8 oz. baits and like more of medium action over med/heavy.

5. Member
    The Dobyns Champion XP 702 and 703 are the best spinning rods I have ever seen and used. Someone on this board recommended them to me and they were right.

I use an old All-Star WR1. Tried a bunch of different rods but kept coming back to this one. Seems unconventional but sure works for me.

7. Member
    For spinnerbaits I have tried:
    cheap rods
    expensive rods
    stiff rods
    moderate rods

I find that I like cheaper fast action rods. They tend to have a softer tip for a fast rod and seem to work good for me. My current spinnerbait rod is an old BPS extreme MH fast rod. I sometimes use a fitzgerald chatterbait rod but I really have grown accustomed to that BPS rod. Plus I like the old power hump full grip.

I like a 6'3" rod;have two old Kistler LTA's that are this length and recently bought an older GLoomis Spinnerbait Rod that is 6-3 and it's very nice too. Lews or Shimano reels and I prefer a 5.3 reel unless you're really burning the spinnerbait.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

7' Medium crankbait rod. Mine is an out of production Denali Jade J2. Picked up the one my buddy had and tried a few casts; ordered one when I got home. I use 40 lb braid, but he uses 12 lb copolymer. I use a 6.3:1 LH "greenie" Curado...kinda heavy these days, but sturdy and friendly, ya know?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    For spinnerbaits I have tried:
    cheap rods
    expensive rods
    stiff rods
    moderate rods

I find that I like cheaper fast action rods. They tend to have a softer tip for a fast rod and seem to work good for me. My current spinnerbait rod is an old BPS extreme MH fast rod. I sometimes use a fitzgerald chatterbait rod but I really have grown accustomed to that BPS rod. Plus I like the old power hump full grip.
    I’ve found the same thing has worked for me, but have settled on a 7’mh Lews rod

11. Banned
    7' Team Diawa MH. I fish 1/2 & 3/4 ounce sb's mostly. Will throw a 3/8 on a few occasions.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Gloomis844...I like the 844 blank because it loads up fast and drives the hook home with power and this is important to me on a spinnerbait. I use the E6X line which cost much less than the upper Gloomis rods. If I were dragging a bait and wanted maximum sensitivity I would go with one of the upper tier GLoomiss rods but for a spinnerbait the E6X does just fine for me.

Lew's LFS...its just hard the beat the quality of this reel for 100 bones. This is what I use on my 3/8 and 5/8 but when stepping up to 3/4 or bigger the Super duty G LFS is a better choice.

13. Member
    I mostly throw them on a 7' MH Abu Garcia Vengeance with a 6.3:1 ratio BPS pro Qualifier reel, but if I am slow rolling a large spinner bait I will switch to my cranking rod with a 5.2 ratio.

14. Member
    I like the Quantum Smoke in 6' 8" medium fast with a Lew's Super Duty 5.4 to 1 reel.

Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'9 Medium Heavy

16. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    6'0" pistol grip and a Curado 51E. Old school!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

17. Member
    13 Fishing ChatterCrank is my new favorite since I broke my St Croix
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

18. Member
    Another vote for the ALX Deputy. ALX Mitch is also good around cover/docks for precise casting. As for reels I like the Lews Custom Pro.

19. Member
    Cashion Rods makes a great spinnerbait Rod in 6-6 med action extra fast for working tight structure teamed up with a Lews bb1 Rod is 120 and the real I got for 140 .

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigzz4344 View Post
    Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'9 Medium Heavy. $79.99. Favorite spinner bait rod.

Expensive baitcasting rods and reels are overrated in my opinion... I use all Abu Garcia and Falcon HD rods which are about 79.99. Abu garcia Promax/Revo reels. (and no i am not sponsored!)

St Croix for all spinning rods.
    x2 but a 6"6"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast