Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Echomap Ultra with GT30-TM and GT8HW-IH Bundle problem

Have an ECHOMAP Ultra with GT30-TM and GT8HW-IH Bundle.
    When I get on pad (even at slow speeds, barely on pad) I lose bottom traditional sonar depth. It is almost like side and down view transducer on the jackplate is being used instead of the shoot thru transducer that they epoxied mounted in the bilge.
    I see there is a Y-Cable that combines the two transducers, and is hooked up to Garmin unit and transducers.

This is all brand new stuff, and I am new to garmin.

Also will the older hotmaps micro cards work in this, i am used to Lowrance. and Lowrance would just bring the mapping up automatically.

Sorry for the questions..fellas ...love these Garmins. I also have Livescope and a two Ultra 106's mounted on the bow. One of them is networked.
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-28-2020 at 03:58 PM.

2. Member
    You need a y cable I have same set up with 2 93 sv plus at console but connected to a gms 10 for sharing with 3 units.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    You need a y cable I have same set up with 2 93 sv plus at console but connected to a gms 10 for sharing with 3 units.
    I ordered the GT30-TM and GT8HW-IH bundle, it came with a Y-Cable and is hooked up to the Garmin echomap Ultra 126

4. Member
    Make sure u have selected the right transducer combo in the menu.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofsightpdr View Post
    Make sure u have selected the right transducer combo in the menu.
    It was set for auto selection under installation settings. And at the bottom left corner of the traditional sonar window. Says "GT30-TM+GT8HW-I" or something along those lines. Says Chirp below that.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sounds like your GT8 is not in the "sweet" spot. What brand boat?? Have you tried putting water in the bilge to cover the ducer and see if that helps?? Need to give that ducer location a look at, IMO.

Garmin units do not accept or use any other mapping card except for their own or whats listed on the website, so the hotmap card will not work.

Also here is a similar post with same 2d issue: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1082576

Maybe try the frequency change per link.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Make sure it’s glued in tight epoxy is the choice but clear silicone works also

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Sounds like your GT8 is not in the "sweet" spot. What brand boat?? Have you tried putting water in the bilge to cover the ducer and see if that helps?? Need to give that ducer location a look at, IMO.

Garmin units do not accept or use any other mapping card except for their own or whats listed on the website, so the hotmap card will not work.

Also here is a similar post with same 2d issue: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1082576

Maybe try the frequency change per link.
    I thought that also, but with the graph on traditional sonar (although it say GT8+GT30 Chirp at the bottom left corner) if i reached down and moved a solid object just below the face of the GT30 (side-down ducer) on the transom and I see the disturbance on the 2D traditional. Indicating the 2D signal is coming from that transducer.

The boat is a 2021 Nitro Z20, the puck seems solidly mounted.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    GT 30 does not have a 2d capabilities, there is no crystal for 2d.

10. Member
    GT 30 does not have a 2d capabilities, there is no crystal for 2d.
    That what I thought too. But I am not familar enough with garmin yet.
    I may have the dealer move the transducer. It is near the live well in the bilge. I think it needs to be all the way in the back, by the drain.

11. Member
    Going to take the boat out tonight and do some testing.
    Traditional reads perfectly fine while idling. But,,As soon as the boat is on pad, even as slow as you can go engine trimmed all the way down. Traditional goes away immediately, so the problem I don't think is an air pocket.
    Very similar, (if not identical) to a guy that had a Lowrance totalscan on a bass boat with no shoot-thru transducer, I rode with.

Was told to try settings>communications>sources and change to built in for traditional. Will see if that does anything. Will also put some water in the bilge.

So overall it seems to me , that it should just work, without any setting up anything, correct. Indicating a poor location of the transducer??

Thanks for you all's help so far guys.
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-29-2020 at 10:30 AM.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There was a guy on here with same type post; he removed the puck and held it over side of boat and still had the same issue, so it was a problem with the puck......his last post he was sending it back to Garmin and they were going to exchange it. Not sure what the outcome was.

13. Member
    There was a guy on here with same type post; he removed the puck and held it over side of boat and still had the same issue, so it was a problem with the puck......his last post he was sending it back to Garmin and they were going to exchange it. Not sure what the outcome was.
    that was me, got the new transducer it works hanging over the side but still won't work in hull I've tried several spots, the clearvu will draw a 2d picture on traditional I confirmed this by removing the gt8 from the water and watching it still work on 2d
    2014 Skeeter ZX200 w/ 200 YamahaSHO

14. Member
    Hmm Same Exact problem gt 8 and 34 combo.. rather annoying.. can’t be ducers or location.. what are we Both doing Wrong??

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclesam321 View Post
    Hmm Same Exact problem gt 8 and 34 combo.. rather annoying.. can’t be ducers or location.. what are we Both doing Wrong??
    Honestly.. I have not a clue. I was planning on going out yesterday to test a few things. I was thinking of bypassing the y cable and hooking only the GT8 up, if that is possible and testing.

16. Member
    Good idea .. please let me know

17. Member
    Seems what we need is someone to chime in with 126 ultra graphs that run the y cable with a gt8 and gt 30 or 34 and everything works perfect.. I’m wondering if it’s the graph not liking it...???

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have the GT15/GT30 with Y cable on my Phoenix boat with no issues. Use the combo on both the 93 plus and 126 Ultra. All installation was done by me. Now the GT15 is a little different as the holding tank is glued to hull, filled with anti-freeze, and GT15 is screwed to the tank.

19. Member
    i have the gt34 and the gt8 but im not using the y cable, i have 2 102's at the console so each graph has a transducer plugged in and i have the same issues. have it epoxied in the exact same spot i had the lowrance IH transducer and it would read speeds over 70 but the garmin loses bottom and picks it back up at times.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunter57 View Post
    i have the gt34 and the gt8 but im not using the y cable, i have 2 102's at the console so each graph has a transducer plugged in and i have the same issues. have it epoxied in the exact same spot i had the lowrance IH transducer and it would read speeds over 70 but the garmin loses bottom and picks it back up at times.
    well shiot.. didn’t want to hear that.. lol now I am really ready to pull my hair out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast