Ultrex Broken Magnets Question

For Jones or anyone that can help.

I noticed my Ultrex grinding some on my trip out this weekend. I'm pretty rough on my motor and have definitely hit a thing or dozen. I figured I bent the prop shaft and it's out of warranty so i opened up the lower and found that the "alignment" notch on the brush end housing was bent/knocked out of whack. There wasn't any moisture inside the motor at the time, but I could see flakes of rust, and signs of some corrosion on some bolts.

I found that the grinding was from a piece of magnet that had broken off and wasn't in the correct place. This piece is approx a quarter size from one corner of one of the magnets. To my surprise armature looks ok and no damage or corrosion.

I noticed that you have to replace the entire shaft and lower housing/magents as one piece. And you have to cut it to length. My question is, can the motor be ran just fine with that corner of the magnet missing if I just remove it? Epoxied in? If I have to get a new shaft, any tips on how to properly cut it?

2. Member
    Do not epoxy the old piece back in. It usually will not hold. A rule of thumb is if the broken piece is equal to or smaller than a square inch, it is OK to continue running. If it is about the size of a quarter as you indicated, I would clean it real good, look at the armature and make sure none of the "stacks" has moved and pinched the wires running long the grooves of the armature barrel. If all is good there, reseal, reassemble and go fishing. You can call Jones Trolling Motor at 870 773 3474 and they can get you a seal kit, plus anything else you need shipped to you.
    John

3. Member
    Thanks for the response and help, I'll give it a go.