Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. dartag1829
    Retirement Sucks. No more sick days, paid vacation days, paid holidays. Sitting around having a coffee talking with the guys on company time. Watching Bass Live while you are working. It's just 365 days of fun. Well maybe it isn't that bad.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Traveling and fishing the lakes I love and finding new ones that suit my style of fishing.....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Don't know but after 56 years of steady work, I am telling the boss at the end of the day Thursday that I as done as of October 15th.
    Congratulations. Enjoy!
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

4. TJNYSNP
    When i retire...

i hope my knees still work to get in/out of my boat and getting the boat on/off the trailer
    hope i'm healthy
    want to fish at least 3 days a week

5. Moderator
    Just retired and had knee surgery. Things are looking up.

6. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Retirement Sucks. No more sick days, paid vacation days, paid holidays. Sitting around having a coffee talking with the guys on company time. Watching Bass Live while you are working. It's just 365 days of fun. Well maybe it isn't that bad.
    I was thinking of retiring next year but then I thought to myself, I said...myself, you have it made, you come to work, chit chat with the guys, go into your office, you usually have somebody bring you fresh coffee, you then get on your computer, read the news, watch some You Tube fishing videos, read and post on BBC, decide when and where you want to go eat lunch, then you go get in your company vehicle, go to your local tackle shop and shoot the bull, then go eat lunch, go back to my office to read and post on BBC, then decide your tired and go home for they day.
    Then I look over my benefits, 12 weeks of vacation time accrued and around 300 hours of sick time built up, which keeps building up every month. My health insurance is 100% paid by my employer, they match my 401k investment. then I think maybe, just maybe I’ll hold off from retiring because getting that paycheck every week makes perfect sense right now. I think I will work for a few more years.

7. Member
    Basically I'm going to do what I want when I want. In the three months I have retired I averaged three full days fishing. Some days I get up at 6am other days I may sleep to 10am. Instead of cutting grass in one day I do it in three days. (Note it takes 4 hrs)

I have no set plans, I lived 40 years by the clock with a set plan each day. Today I take each day as it comes and I spend most of my time enjoying the many hobbies I have. (Note when I'm not fishing the wife expects dinner when she gets home from work. Cheap price to pay to retire extra early.)

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    Granted, we will have to return occasionally to maintain our US citizenship, but that will occur during the summer months in Ohio. My goal in retirement is to never, ever have to own a winter coat again. Once we are established, golf and travel, lots of travel around this beautiful world.
    Actually, they can not take US citizenship away. You can go away for 20 years and as long as you renewed your passport you can fly right back in with no worries. You do still have to file your income tax in the US. US taxes worldwide income so even if you get a part time job in the DR, the Uncle will still want their piece.

We are moving back to the US in June, then working four more years for my wife's daughter to finish high school and decide what she is going to do for college. By this time they both will have been in the US for more than three years total time so they can both apply for US citizenship.

After both of those things are done we won't have to worry about how much time we spend in the US. When you are under a green card you should spend at least 6 months per year minimum in the US. After she gets citizenship like the post I attached you can go away as long as you like and they will always take you back.

So, get citizenship and high school done and then we will move from Nebraska taxes to somewhere more friendly - maybe AR, SD or TN. There is a chance we just go to NW Ontario. The plan is somewhere around good fishing for 6 months, then go back to Vietnam for 6 months. Already bought a farm on a huge lake north of Sai Gon. Buying another house in Sai Gon for living in the city. The nice thing about the winters in Vietnam it's still right at 75-80* every day and from November to April realistically I won't see rain more than two days - three max in five months. It's nice.

9. Member
    I have been retired for 7 years, retired at the young age of 53, thanks to a great better half. I can say that every day is a great day, I do what I want when I want it is great.

10. Member
    Retired by default last year after a head injury a year ago today. More about the timing than the extent of the injury and the events of 2020 have shaped my desire to retire prematurely.

I've had a year off to assess my options. Turn 62 in 6 weeks. As far as income I need another 150 a week added to my SS to stay as I've been the last 10 years. Getting by. I've spent a lot of time working on personal projects at my leisure. My energy has shifted to projects ahead of fishing because I have the free time I've never had. Spend a lot of quality time around the house enjoying what my GF and I work hard to have. She will be retired at end of the year and is looking forward to joining me taking on bigger projects. I have a few options to get an income and barring an unforeseen change I am done working full time after 44 years.

11. Member
    My list is what I am not going to do
    I am not going to miss the best fishing windows
    I am not going to miss the best hunting windows
    I am not going to miss birthdays, anniversaries grandkids ball games
    I am not going to drive 2 hours round trip to work everyday
    I am not going to be woke up routinely all hours of the night
    I am not going to be a slave to my work phone
    Retiring in 90 days USFS firefighter, Battalion chief. I am ready.

12. Member
    Well, I've been retired for 29 years and wish I could have even done it sooner. Moved to Toledo Bend after retiring and have enjoyed everyday of it. Really there isn't enough hours in the day to do the things that I want(need) to do. I stay fairly busy everyday and try to fish at least 3-4 days a week. I leave the week ends to the poor working stiffs. In fairly good health and fish by myself most of the time, just mostly 4 hours a day. I have gone thru 4 bass boats since retiring, stick with 18-19 footers where I can handle them by myself. Don't hunt even though deer are in our back yard every night eating out of our bird feeders, just can't afford more than one hobby. Been fishing all of my life, 30 years of offshore fishing, had a charter boat for a few years till they put limits on all the fish. Now just do sissy fishing as I use to call it. These dang sissy fish love to kick my butt !! Hope everyone that retires has the good a life as I've had.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234