Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer ball grease

What do you guys use? I’m looking for something that would stain clothes or wash off and stain my freshly paved driveway.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Nothing. Just attracts dirt.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Dryer sheet
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

4. Member
    silicone

5. Member
    Does anyone use the same grease for there motor for there hitch? I have a bunch of quicksilver 2-4-c
    Last edited by Fish0093; 09-28-2020 at 06:21 PM.

6. Member
    Reese sells a Teflon grease special for trailer balls, they sell it at Walmart in the trailer section.

personally I just put some Lucas red and tacky on it and call it a day.

I don't put nothing on mine. Don't want grease and oil stains all over. Never had a ball or coupler wear out.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    Does anyone use the same grease for there motor for there hitch? I have a bunch of quicksilver 2-4-c
    That’s what I use .
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    I don't put nothing on mine. Don't want grease and oil stains all over. Never had a ball or coupler wear out.
    They don't wear out, they sieze together and unscrew the ball occasionally.
    I use any old grease on mine, any grease that will permanently stain lighter colored pants, or leave a mark on unprotected shins. That way in the dark you can tell exactly where it hurts.

10. Member
    I use any old grease on mine, any grease that will permanently stain lighter colored pants, or leave a mark on unprotected shins. That way in the dark you can tell exactly where it hurts.
    Nice.

Coffee on the computer again.

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Nice.

Coffee on the computer again.

12. Member
    Never put anything on any of my trailer balls/couplers. No issues with them at all, including a #7500 dump trailer.

13. Member
    A shot of WD-40 up in the coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Reese sells a Teflon grease special for trailer balls, they sell it at Walmart in the trailer section.

personally I just put some Lucas red and tacky on it and call it a day.

this^^

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    A shot of WD-40 up in the coupling.
    This or nothing that could pick up grit or sand causing damage to ball and coupling in the long run.
    Reese sell grease for it cause they are in the business of making money off the poor people that they can fool into using it.
    Unless you are towing with a 5th wheel, don't use grease.

16. Member
    Keep it clean, squirt some WD 40 on it and give it the shoe shine treatment with a rag. Gotta keep the balls clean.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    This or nothing that could pick up grit or sand causing damage to ball and coupling in the long run.
    Reese sell grease for it cause they are in the business of making money off the poor people that they can fool into using it.
    Unless you are towing with a 5th wheel, don't use grease.

What do you consider the "long run"?

My trailer is 12 years old with ~60000 miles on it. I put grease on the ball and I put a cover on the ball and remove it from the truck when not in use. Neither the ball or coupler show any signs of wear and the ball is the same one i have used for probably 15 years now. If sand and grit were really a problem i would think it would have been evident by now in my case.

On a 5th wheel i would get a plastic lube plate instead of grease since grease is super messy on a 5th wheel.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    What do you consider the "long run"?

My trailer is 12 years old with ~60000 miles on it. I put grease on the ball and I put a cover on the ball and remove it from the truck when not in use. Neither the ball or coupler show any signs of wear and the ball is the same one i have used for probably 15 years now. If sand and grit were really a problem i would think it would have been evident by now in my case.

On a 5th wheel i would get a plastic lube plate instead of grease since grease is super messy on a 5th wheel.
    A plastic lube plate, must be for RV and campers, since on our tractors 5th wheels, we used grease and lots of it especially on the tri-axle lowboy 125000# GVWR

19. Member
    Graphite powder, buff it on the ball. When i unhook the the receiver goes in a storage in the truck. my shins are getting old and it hurts.

20. Member
    My driveway comes down at a slight incline before leveling off so the vehicle sits on the incline when loading/unloading. I had a heck of a time hooking/unhooking until I started LIGHTLY greasing the ball with some Lucas grease I use for other stuff on the trailer. I always remove the receiver when the boat isn't hooked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast