Thread: Motor Choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor Choice

Would the 300R be the best choice for a 2021 XRS. I would like a great hole shot and mid to upper 80"s on top end, also what gears with the 300 and I am assuming sportmaster lower. Thank you.

2. Member
    Yes with 1.75 gears, avoid the 1.60 lower. Also go with a hydraulic jackplate, it will help everywhere. To get it to hole shot good you will need to be at least even with the pad or below, you will have to raise the motor 3/4-1.5 above the pad to run high numbers depending on what prop you go with. With a manual plate it is hard to find the sweet spot for holeshot and speed, been there done that. Everyone is still learning with these new motors.

if you do not plan or setup to run much over 80 then you can go with the torque master lower and not have to worry above getting it above the pad. Sportmaster has to be above pad a bit to get it running like it should.
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 09-28-2020 at 02:50 PM.

1.75s with a sporty...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    1.75s with a sporty...
    Can the gears be changed out on the sporty ? I have the 160 and it is just not doing it for me, the hole shot is just horrible on my boat, I am thinking about dropping down to a 24 pitch prop, I started with a 28. I do like the promax that i am running right now but i need a better hole shot, thinking about getting a Max 5 in a 24 pitch.

5. Member
    HK - there is a used sporty with 1.75 gears for sale on the Performance Fishing Machines facebook page if your interested, just FYI.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Can the gears be changed out on the sporty ? I have the 160 and it is just not doing it for me, the hole shot is just horrible on my boat, I am thinking about dropping down to a 24 pitch prop, I started with a 28. I do like the promax that i am running right now but i need a better hole shot, thinking about getting a Max 5 in a 24 pitch.
    You can buy a 1.75 gear set and have a dealer make the change

7. Member
    Sleepy, PM sent.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Yes with 1.75 gears, avoid the 1.60 lower. Also go with a hydraulic jackplate, it will help everywhere. To get it to hole shot good you will need to be at least even with the pad or below, you will have to raise the motor 3/4-1.5 above the pad to run high numbers depending on what prop you go with. With a manual plate it is hard to find the sweet spot for holeshot and speed, been there done that. Everyone is still learning with these new motors.

if you do not plan or setup to run much over 80 then you can go with the torque master lower and not have to worry above getting it above the pad. Sportmaster has to be above pad a bit to get it running like it should.
    Sleepy is spot on, for sure hydraulic plate. I fought getting out of the hole with the motor above pad (would blow out) for over 4 months, finally broke down and invested in a Bob's Hydraulic plate and solved everything. There doesn't seem to be that happy mid point on motor height with these motors, its all hole shot or all top end, no compromise, but the hydraulic plate gives you the best of both worlds. Also as mentioned, 1.75's with a Sporty.

9. Member
    Thanks guys, there is a 2021 XRS with a 300R at Rock Outdoors I am going to look at this weekend. Really nice looking boat. How is the accessibility for running power and wires from the front to console and back of boat, I would like to do all of my own electronics. Is the 52" trolling motor shaft the better choice for this boat. And lastly what is the best prop choice, I weigh 245 and carry about 10 rods and 150 lbs of gear usually, fish by myself alot as well. Plan on going with all lithiums, one 36 volt for TM, one for cranking and a house for electronics and power poles. Would it be better to put all three on port side, they will weigh around 110 pounds for all three and the charger. I have been seeing alot of guys with the 300 running the 5 blade labbed merc prop.

I would NOT recommend a lithium for the 300r. Been there done that. 52" inch if you fish rough stuff, if not it will bounce out. 52 will occasionally! I wish my AGM would have been installed on the port side. Lithiums on the starboard side. my 1.60 gears spins a 28 Bravo I. 89 for me solo in texas heat. (still learning to drive it) IF I had a do over might go with 1.75 gears.
    I think my hole shot is fine.

11. Member
    Chief , what is the issue with the lithium for cranking, I was looking at Lithium Pro M3110 with 110 ah and 1500 cranking amps. Thanks

12. Banned
    Mercury recommends AGM for a starting battery... Some say lithium causes problem... Others say they work fine... Oh, and I had a 45" shaft and have never wished it was longer... Dan

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Thanks guys, there is a 2021 XRS with a 300R at Rock Outdoors I am going to look at this weekend. Really nice looking boat. How is the accessibility for running power and wires from the front to console and back of boat, I would like to do all of my own electronics. Is the 52" trolling motor shaft the better choice for this boat. And lastly what is the best prop choice, I weigh 245 and carry about 10 rods and 150 lbs of gear usually, fish by myself alot as well. Plan on going with all lithiums, one 36 volt for TM, one for cranking and a house for electronics and power poles. Would it be better to put all three on port side, they will weigh around 110 pounds for all three and the charger. I have been seeing alot of guys with the 300 running the 5 blade labbed merc prop.
    I ran all my own electronics. I pulled from the front deck to the center console, then I pulled from the console to the rear compartment. Not too bad, just need a good wire puller. (and make sure the batteries are disconnected). I currently have a 52" Ghost, was running a 47" and never had an issue with the 47", but the 52" is nice insurance. I have my lithiums on the port side and my AGM on the starboard side, wishing it was the opposite, but my Bullet is set up with the trolling leads on the port side and everything for the motor harness comes in on the starboard side, so thats what determined my battery placement, but I'm sure it can be switched easy enough.

14. Member
    Running your own wiring for electronics is easy and accessible. I wired all mine myself and have 4 graphs total with livescope, SS3D, stereo and so on. Leave the AGM in place for the cranking power per merc specs and warranty reason “if” it’s ever needed. I added a 5th battery just for electronics and put a Ionic lithium on the port side in front of the AGM. I have been charging my lithium by itself but have recently wired in with the AGM and have not had a problem and with the charging voltage these motors put out at idle the Ionic is never below 94% at the end of the day and that is with all electronics running, power poles along with everything else. Best thing I’ve done so far, no worries of being dead on the water.

I had the Ionic 125 for the cranking battery. First trip on water the battery would go into safe mode when using trim or jack plate adjustment.(all electronics shut off etc). NOT GOOD RUNNING AT SPEED in boat lane. Contacted lithium hub. They sent me a new battery immediately. They have excellent customer service. They said the the 300 has a high out put alternator and the battery will shut itself off if being overcharged. New battery sent with charging different programming. Worked fine till it didn't. Shut completely down with two grandkids in boat. Troll motor to nearest ramp. Was advised to run battery down to 40%. I did. Put back on boat. Worked fine till it didn't. Shuts down again.
    Went back to AGM. Now this was my case. Others may have a different story! I love my two (2) lithium hub 100 for trolling motor. They have an excellent customer and recommend them. JUST NOT FOR CRANKING BATTERY ON THE 300r

I’d stay with the AGM for cranking....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

17. Member
    I seen that one coming!!! Whoever did the pursuading to go with the 1.60 gears did a disservice IMHO for the folks that fish.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

18. Banned
    We've gotta remember bass boats are a small part of the overall market. Mercury is setting these engines up for the masses... It's up to the bass boat manufactures and dealers to advise what's gonna work best on the boats we're buying... Dan

19. Member
    If you’re not strictly a mercury person wearing a Yamaha 250 SHO on a 21XD it runs 84 miles an hour fully loaded full live wells for fuel hole shot is incredible I rarely push down more quarter throttle to get on plane with a 29 pitch bravo FS Prop turning 5800 RPM and the fuel consumption is amazingly low compared to the mercury racing 280 hp that I replaced. By the way I had A sport master and it plugged up very easily in the weeds I really love not having to deal with that anymore. Good luck with your decision😃
    Last edited by Trailfix; 11-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.

20. Member
    Trailfix,

If I may ask, how did you clean out the plugged sportmaster and did you have to do it often out on the water... I have always wondered if the sportmaster plugged/clogged up alot while fishing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast